It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:31

New Topic Add Reply
Sisters Oregon?
Post 24 Mar 2019, 14:11 • #1 
Master Guide
I'm making plans to meet up with an old childhood buddy and his wife early in September. The plan is to find a place at a halfway point between us where we can camp, fish and do some touristy exploring. Sisters Oregon seems to fit the bill.

Any recommendations for a nice full service campground close to town, or sights and things we should check out? Also, any tips on how and where to get the most out of our fishing time would be greatly appreciated.We'll be there for a week. :P
Feel free to PM

Re: Sisters Oregon?
Post 25 Mar 2019, 08:52 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
As for campgrounds, probably the easiest to access would be Sisters Creekside Campground on the east end of Sisters. You can walk into Sisters from the campground.[font=][/font] There are many others available within 20 mins driving from Sisters, primarily in the Metolius River area west of Sisters, but these do not provide as many amenities. The central Oregon area is a great place to fish and some driving is necessary, sometimes as much as an hour from Sisters. As for fly shops, the best in my opinion is The Fly Fishers Place in Sisters. The closest place to fish near Sisters would be the Metolius. A beautiful area and not easy fishing. Many miles of water, all available to the fisherman. Do stop in the general store in Camp Sherman for great sandwiches and current info on fishing. Other places to fish are more far ranging, but are worth it...Tumalo Creek, Deschutes River, Crooked River, High Cascade Lakes, Fall River. Spend some time looking these places up and talk to the guys in the fly shop. As for sights to see...High Desert Museum outside of Bend, the hatchery on the lower Metolius, Newberry National Monument outside of Bend, a walk along the Metolius itself is just beautiful and peaceful, the hatchery area on the Falls River, visiting the Deschutes Brewery in Bend. I lived in Oregon for over 20 years and fished all these and more. So if you need more specifics, let me know. Roy

Post 25 Mar 2019, 13:00 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I live just down the road in Bend. Retiredfish's write-up would be hard to improve upon (except perhaps mention one of the 19 other breweries, including the one in Sisters!)

Consider also the campground at Tumalo State Park. Not close to town but a nice spot with OK fishing out the door. Contact me and I'll tell you where they are in September. Also Three Creeks Lake is a scenic mountain lake which can be very good and is easy to fish. The fly shop in Sisters is indeed the best in the area.

Metolius is beautiful, hard to catch much. Crooked River below Bowman dam a bit of a drive but the fish, while they run small, all have an eating disorder and you will catch plenty. You might book a day on Crane Prairie or East Lake with a guide. Smith Rocks State Park is a spectacular place for a hike but don't bother fishing there.

Post 25 Mar 2019, 23:50 • #4 
Master Guide
Thanks for the detailed breakdown retiredfisher1. You confirmed what I've been learning on my own. Looks like full amenity camps (with showers) are limited in the area. Sisters Creek campground and Tumalo are at top of my list, but I'm hoping to find something with a bit more elevation and ideally on the water. To complicate it further I'd like it to be within a short drive of a town (Bend, Sisters,elsewhere?). May just have to give up one of those wants..

Newfydog, awesome info and 19 breweries are a BIG plus in my book! Thanks

Post 26 Mar 2019, 10:59 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
If you can “rough it” for a night or two, there are quite a few dry campgrounds along the length of the Crooked River below the dam. All are right on the river and only a 20 minute drive into Prineville. One of the most spectacular views I’ve ever seen is driving back to the Bend/Redmond area from Prineville. At one point, looking toward the Cascades, you can see Mt Jefferson, Mt Washington, all the Sisters, Broken Top and Mt Bachelor. Absolutely stunning.

Post 28 Mar 2019, 23:12 • #6 
Master Guide
The Crooked river looks and sounds like fun water. If we end up settling on the area I'll contact for pointers closer to the trip.

Post 29 Mar 2019, 09:38 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
A Crooked River story:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57576&p=276394&hilit=heron#p276394

Crooked River:

Post 29 Mar 2019, 13:01 • #8 
Master Guide
Cool story. "ack,ack" :lol

New Topic Add Reply