It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:23

New Topic Add Reply
ID Help
Post 28 Feb 2023, 10:44 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I did a favor for a friend of a friend. He knows i like fiberglass rods. So the other day he showed me this flyrod. Says he won it "30 or 40 years ago at a sporting club fundraiser dinner." It looks to me like it could be a kit rod or a one off built on the Phillipson "Orvis Golden Eagle" blank.

It's 6'5" assembled. Nickel sliding bands over nice cork. Sort of a superfine style grip with understated nickel check, hook & ring hook keeper. Thread appears to be silk with a fine low build finish. Weighs 2.25oz.

Re: ID Help
Post 28 Feb 2023, 10:59 • #2 
Guide
I'm far from an expert but it certainly looks like a Golden eagle blank. Could possibly be a kit rod someone assembled. I've been finding blanks in the wild recently so I don't see why someone wouldn't have had access to the golden eagle blanks back in the day, so its possible. I'll let others with more knowledge chime in.

Post 28 Feb 2023, 13:28 • #3 
Master Guide
One of the first rods I built was on an Orvis fiberglass kit about 50 years ago. It's on a yellow Phillipson blank. This appears to be the later version, pea green rod blank, with the characteristic enlarged ferrule and metal ferrule ring. The stripping guide and tip top appear to different than a factory rod would have too. There is no inscription, which you would typically have on a factory rod.

I'd say you're right on target with your assessment of a kit or custom built Phillipson. Nice rod!

Post 28 Feb 2023, 14:58 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I took a few more photos.

Post 28 Feb 2023, 15:59 • #5 
Master Guide
Hmm???
Looks like a golden eagle to me as well.

But the weight is off by 1/4oz
epoxy wraps,ceramic tiptop and stripper vs the carbide stripper and std chrome tiptop could account for weight difference

The 6.5ft factory Golden eagle rod only weighs
1-7/8oz

And just to make things spicy..
Here’s two 8ft Golden Eagles with different weights

It’s Probably a Golden Eagle Kit rod .
I don’t believe the golden eagle kit blanks had the Orvis script .

The yellow Fullflex blanks were pad printed at Phillipson HQ

Golden Eagles were hand scripted at Orvis when they were built out from blanks.

Golden eagles were so Good ..
Orvis still sold them as the top glass offering above their own in-house built A/amber rods.

FFr wiki says golden eagles went to 71-74 but Golden Eagles actually went to 1976

That rod is a keeper !!
Tight lines in 23
Scotto

Last edited by ottobahn on 28 Feb 2023, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Feb 2023, 16:49 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Yes Scotto, the 1/4oz difference in weight is likely due to the components. The sliding rings, grip check, and hook keeper are nickel. It also has a metal butt cap. I don't think the factory rods had a butt cap -- they were all cork from the grip to the seat insert.

I have to agree with you and others. Sure looks like a custom "Golden Eagle" built on the Phillipson blank. The 6'6" Golden Eagle factory rod is listed in the old Orvis catalogs as a
1 7/8oz. 4wt. I have yet to cast this rod but it feels like a 3, or 4 to me.

Last edited by picketpin52 on 28 Feb 2023, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.

Post 28 Feb 2023, 18:26 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
That is beautiful,i personally like the ceramic tip a srtipper.State of the art 70s tech for sure.And it is 6.5 makes it even better,I have subconsciously wittled down many rods over 7'.I just don't use them.Phillipsons really jump in price 7' and shorter.They are great little rods.

Post 28 Feb 2023, 20:26 • #8 
Administrator
I agree with the crowd - it's an Orvis Golden Eagle kit rod from the mid 70s. The grip, reel seat, and thin aluminum rings are parts that Orvis supplied with the kit (first image below). In my opinion, the rod was built by a very small shop or an amateur. Larger shops would usually inscribe or label the rod. The thread is from the Orvis supplied kit (second image below).

The rod is based on the Phillipson Epoxite Midge blank (see the Orvis Wiki page). That's the only Phillipson rod I know of that was designed for a four weight line. They don't show up often.

Rod weights are at best an estimate. I've seen plenty that are way off in either direction.

Tom

Post 28 Feb 2023, 20:31 • #9 
Master Guide
Tom great pic of the Orvis build supplies :)
Dug up my old 76 catalog
Found the listing for the Golden Eagle Rod Kits

Cheers
Scotto

Post 28 Feb 2023, 20:46 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Tom. It really is sweet little stick. I love the thread color and the low build finish.
I hope to cast it tomorrow with 3 & 4 wt lines.

Post 28 Feb 2023, 20:49 • #11 
Master Guide
Nice rod that would likely be a hoot to fish on some small brooks. If there is a NE gathering - would be a fun one to be able to cast!

Thanks for posting the pics and very cool to see the kit components and the old catalog entries.

New Topic Add Reply