It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 19 Dec 2022, 11:13 • #1 
Sport
Guys and Gals,
A follow-up on my completion of the Soulmate SG703-5. A big thanks to Marc at SM Custom rods for a great blank. The seat and insert are from Ray Lee. As I mentioned to Ray the insert comes across to both my wife and I as a rendition of Van Gough's Starry Night. I had the rod info laser engraved on seat end piece in place of a sticker on the blank. The stripping guide is blued with an onyx insert from Anthony on ebay. The ritz style grip and snake brand light wire black nickel guides come from Matt at Proof Fly Fishing. The rod sock is from the Bag Lady and finally the rod tube was made from clear plastic stream core sampling tubing with the emblem coming from Marc at Soulmate. Hope you like it and sorry my phone pictures are pretty weak.
Merry Christmas,
Chris

Post 19 Dec 2022, 12:40 • #2 
Master Guide
Really appreciate the high quality cork grip and as you point out, the reel seat is unique and reminiscent of Starry Night. Very well done.

Post 19 Dec 2022, 17:55 • #3 
Sport
Very nice.
I put one of those blued onyx stripping guides from Anthony on a build I'm doing.
Great quality

Post 20 Dec 2022, 08:32 • #4 
Sport
I agree the quality on Anthony's blued stripping guides is great. You need to follow his directions on spraying them with lacquer to preserve the finish. I might have confused folks by listing Marc at SM Soulmate Rods and it should have been MB Custom Rods. I guess both exist?
Chris

Post 20 Dec 2022, 13:05 • #5 
Sport
Hi Chris, the build came out absolutely georgeous!

The blanks brand is Soulmaterods and you bought it at mb-customrods… just for general clarification.

all the best!

Marc

Post 20 Dec 2022, 13:06 • #6 
Guide
nice build. How did you get the laser engraving on the end cap?

Post 20 Dec 2022, 17:50 • #7 
Sport
Thanks guys, for the positive comments, can't wait to get it out fishing. Maybe after the pending freeze lifts following Christmas. On the engraving, I went to a local trophy engraver in town. The laser engraver can do amazing things including different fonts. I ask him to try and match the fonts in the Soulmates logo. Pretty cheap at $15 from my perspective. Doing it again I would have made the Rods portion a touch larger but, live and learn.
Chris

Post 21 Dec 2022, 06:36 • #8 
Guide
Build from tip to butt is fantastic. Good eye and execution .

Post 21 Dec 2022, 07:07 • #9 
Master Guide
Very nice! Congratulations!

Post 22 Dec 2022, 20:08 • #10 
Sport
Not sure if the PM I received tonight and my reply got through. The Bag Lady otherwise known as Jillian is tied to the site Between Two Banks. Her husband builds rods and she offers the rod sock business. She does really nice work for many builders.
Merry Christmas,
Chris

Post 22 Dec 2022, 22:57 • #11 
Master Guide
Lovely rod, build and extras like the engraving and the tube. Love to hear more about your impressions of the rod when you get to fish it. Also would like to get details on how you made the tube - what is it coated with? Is it truck bed liner spray material or undercoating? Thanks for posting.

Post 23 Dec 2022, 04:40 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great!
Looking forward to hear how it casts & fishes

Post 23 Dec 2022, 11:27 • #13 
Sport
The tube is 2" OD CAB plastic tubing 20" long (perfect length for the pack rod) used for stream sediment sampling that I found on ebay from a guy in Wis. The cap is blem. aluminum fly rod tube hardware 2" OD I picked up on ebay. Finally, I used 3M professional grade rubberized under coating spray, carry over from another project. I hit the plastic tube with 400 grit sandpaper to rough it up and then sprayed it with a satin black spray paint followed by two coats of the 3M product. The end cap is just a plastic plug used in the auto industry. Hope that helps and I will report back when I have a chance to get out on the water. Weather permitting, before my youngest daughter has to head back to grad school we will try to get out. Lawn casting today is out of the question with 40-50mph gusts hitting our area.
Thanks
Chris

Post 23 Apr 2023, 03:27 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Boy howdy that Ritz grip sets that rod off...
certainly looks like a fun fishing rod.
Nice work.

New Topic Add Reply