It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Dec 2022, 22:40 • #1 
Sport
So I finally finished it tonight. My first rod build.
What a pain! :lol

I have a new found respect for the amazing rod builders on this forum and the talent they have. I also can't say enough about the amount of info a newbie, hobbyist, professional or who ever can glean on this site. So slow clap to this resource because it is just that, a very valuable resource with talented individuals.

I came across one of these blanks uncut and couldn't help but try to build it out myself. I own 4 of this rods now, 2 yellow 1 pc models, 1 brown 1 pc model and a 2 Pc brown (FL72-5). The 1 pc models just cast like a dream.

This rod took me 2 months to build, a bunch of research, then some more, then oh crap moments and more search bar functions. So I appreciate everything on this site. It's very valuable.

I should have taken more pics during the building process but I didn't. I apologize. It slipped my mind as I had to do this in pieces between work, raising kids, being a husband and serving God etc....

I know my kids are glad to regain their art table back, albeit with 5000 pieces of thread on it and spar varnish. :lol

Here are the components used:

6' 1pc 72-6 Fenwick Blank
Fiberglass stent
Spalted Maple dual ring RL Reel Seat w blued hardware(love these reel seats)
H&H English Twist Guides in Black
Pac Bay black frame low profile agate stripping guide.
Pac Bay Black tip top
Fuji Back Nylon Thread size A NOCP
Fuji Golden Rod Nylon Thread size A NOCP
Black Ring hook keeper
Black Rubber winding check
Proof fly fishing blunt nose rod grip 6.5"
Mini Wax Spar Urethane
White Gorilla Glue
JB Weld

My intention was to extend the rod a few inches for better mending. I also know that this rod isn't exactly the classy simple build many do on here. It's a yellow fly rod, it's kind of obnoxious, and I like yellow fly rods that way, but while I wanted to do something obnoxious I wanted it to be traditional yet different.

Anyways without further ado....

How do you like that make shift set up? :lol
Yes, the art table is in a kitchen. I live in a full farm house and have two kitchens. We don't cook in this one, could you imagine if you setup a fly rod station for two months in the kitchen the wife cooks in? I couldn't.
I don't own a rod turner, I made a make shift wrapping station, used a cup and heavy Bibles with a hook for tension, the Lord provides, it isn't always pretty but it works.

Thought I'd do a butt wrap in bee pattern

I know the wraps are long. It was on purpose, kind of like older rods, like Silaflex, traditional yet different.

As it works up the blank towards the tip, the bee pattern gets smaller until a single line at the tip top

I ended up applying spar vanish as a rod finish, then a light scotch bright on the rod sections between the wraps, then used 3 thin coats of white Gorilla glue wiped on to regain the shine. This really brought the action back to the rod but allows for some UV protection.

Perhaps the best part is what my daughter made me. I bought her a Cricut for her birthday in November, she has been learning how to use it. She is a big craft fanatic. She made me a black vinyl sticker of a honey bee to put on the rod. I applied it and vanished over it.
:)

So there it is. It was an experience and I learned a great many things. Thankfully all my mistakes were able to be fixed before they became permanent
I had it out in the lawn this evening. It balances well with a CFOlll and casts a WF5 very well.
Christmas came early.

I look forward to using it this spring Lord willing, my kids look forward to having their craft table back for now.
:lol:

I have one more build. A 6'1" 3.5wt 2pc black Fibatube I acquired. Don't worry, it's going to be all black, not nearly as obnoxious. At least for you, the kids on the other hand are losing the table again for awhile come January ;)

Last edited by sixfootfenwick on 04 Dec 2022, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post 04 Dec 2022, 22:43 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Well done. Definitely different, but not obnoxious to my eye.

Larry

Post 05 Dec 2022, 08:43 • #3 
Guide
I really like that build! The bee sticker is a very nice touch. I don't mind the yellow blank at all, big fan of Phillipson masters and their yellow blanks. Awesome job, thanks for sharing.

Post 05 Dec 2022, 09:23 • #4 
Guide
What’s NOT to appreciate about that build? Great work! Who knows, maybe your daughter or even your granddaughter will be fishing that rod someday:)

Post 05 Dec 2022, 09:56 • #5 
Sport
Thanks a lot guys!
I think it came out great too, don't get me wrong I also love yellow fly rods, it's more of a joke than anything. I've always made jokes about yellow fiberglass rods.

Here in the Appalachian Mountains, we take loud yellow rods with shiny varnish and wave them around high in the air fishing to spooky brook trout :lol

I would love it if the kids find it and use it one day too.

Post 05 Dec 2022, 15:12 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
You need to get yourself some of these (or a reasonable facsimile):

And whip up some bee flies (the way Bill does them) and fish them with that rod. Foam bees work great for me and brookies love them.

BTW - Excellent job on the rod!!!

Post 05 Dec 2022, 22:10 • #7 
Master Guide
Nice job! Looks great.

Post 05 Dec 2022, 22:26 • #8 
Guide
Very nice! I especially like the ones where you show it on The Word!!

Post 06 Dec 2022, 12:20 • #9 
Sport
Very nice, you did a excellent job. The honey bee sticker is the kicker, my wife has a circut also, you’ve got thinking.
Mike.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 17:53 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Nice !

Post 06 Dec 2022, 18:42 • #11 
Master Guide
That is a lovely build of that rod. I think that will be a fantastic rod to go after brookies.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 21:38 • #12 
Master Guide
Wow. Your thread work is really exceptional. Bravo, and a slow clap to you too! Who cares if its loud, Id take one! I cant wait for fishing updates. Also, Im a big fan of the idea of a 5 wt in that length. Brookies down here want big bugs.

Post 06 Dec 2022, 23:33 • #13 
Master Guide
As a fellow Appalachian Angler who waves bright yellow rods around in the air at Spooktastic Brook Trout

I say AMEN 6ftfenwick !

Great job on the build .
You should bring your Honey Bee to the Western Maryland Conclave this spring and hang out with my Fenwick Yellow Jacket and friends ..

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=75282

Come on down 6footfenwick …. My personal invite for you to wave shiny yellow rods at shy Brown Trout on the Savage River together.

Can’t wait to see that rod sting a few fish :)
Scotto

New Topic Add Reply