It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:15

New Topic Add Reply
Old rod rebuild
Post 08 Aug 2022, 01:48 • #1 
Sport
I bought this rod in a fishing store somewhere in northern Italy. It was clearly made in seventies, maybe eighties but it was never used. The right definition would be "new old stock". I never used it as I have many, many other rods,..it's still waiting for "its turn". Another reason why I did not use it is because it is somewhat ugly! Wraps are very poorly done and the rough reel seat hardware looks like it was made in someone's garage with a big hammer! Assembled is 277cm(9'1'') long and has a nice progressive action with a soft tip. A guess...., maybe the blank was made by Fisher?!
A month ago I decided to remove all the components, varnish included. So I had in hand a "nude" blank ready for a rebuild. I wanted to make rod look "out of the box" so I made it that way. Someone will find it ugly or will say that it was better in its original shape... Grip and reel seat were inspired by great Italian rodmaker Francesco Palu'.

How it was as I got it:

Rebuilt rod. Original had seven "snake" guides, tip top and a stripping guide. I changed the number of guides to nine guides, tip top and stripping guide. All are Fuji (style)...

Re: Old rod rebuild
Post 08 Aug 2022, 10:21 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Good job, rsavli! I'm not sure that I could have lived with those original windings either. You have given it new life, and with an artistic turn. Enjoy!

Post 09 Aug 2022, 14:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
This is a really unique build. I really like how you thought outside the box but kept everything coherent. Very nice work.

Post 11 Aug 2022, 23:44 • #4 
Sport
Thank you Tomah and GlacierRambler for the kind words :)
r :)

New Topic Add Reply