It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:10

New Topic Add Reply
7'6" 3 Weight Build
Post 27 Jun 2022, 19:07 • #1 
Sport
The project started with trying to repurpose a vintage 'glass spinning rod's cork grip. It was long, weathered and had an aluminum stint over one half inch in diameter. I cut it up, glued the best pieces together and set aside to dry. I then inserted the aluminum stint back into the cork assembly and chucked it into my drill press. Used sandpaper to get the handle shape I was after. To get the handle to fit the blank's diameter, I made up a front and rear bushing using a single cork ring at each end and reamed to fit.

For the reel seat I used grade B cork rings turned down to fit the hardware. Using the B grade rings I got as close to a uniform look as I could.

Rather than inscribe the rod's size, I used 3 bands of white/black jasper thread. A NOS black agate stripper rounded out the butt section. The guides are wrapped with silk and low build epoxy was used.

Re: 7'6" 3 Weight Build
Post 28 Jun 2022, 07:36 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Great job!!!

Post 28 Jun 2022, 08:20 • #3 
Guide
That was a great save. BTW, what blank was the lucky recipient of the grip/reel seat transplant?

Post 28 Jun 2022, 09:34 • #4 
Master Guide
Nice work!

Post 28 Jun 2022, 10:17 • #5 
Sport
I wish I could get a better photo or two. But after spending waaaaaaay to much time playing with Paint 3D, I gave up and posted the one wimpy shot I could!

Back to the rod build. The blank is a no name inexpensive import. There are a couple of sellers on the big auction site. I have found it virtually impossible to find ultralight 0, 1 or 2 weight fiberglass blanks in anything much over 6'.

My only beef with this blank was the set in the tip section. It was not on the spline and I had to do some creative section alignments to get the final product. The rod lawn casts just fine.

New Topic Add Reply