It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:00

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Jun 2022, 18:55 • #1 
Sport
This is me in the morning before showering, looking in the mirror and thinking to myself; I gotta do something about this. Yeah, I’m down to my underwear here with the bare threads showing, though they are clean!

This rod has thrown me; I’ve gotten sideways on this thing and it’s been a lesson in corrective steering more than anything else. I’ve always been drawn to this blank, it’s color really. I’ve always imagined the palette it presented; alluring, inviting, coy and beautiful as any dream can be. It had the potential to be garish and PINK?, which was only more of a draw. What others saw as circus, I saw as dance.

It started off with a sudden need to get it built and sent out to sisters who were participants in a Casting for Recovery weekend of fly fishing. The colorful rod justified itself if for no other reason. First hiccup, a reel seat needed to be fabricated to fit NS hardware I was using. Staring at pictures of raw unfinished blocks of colored wood didn’t lend insight into what they looked like once turned. I took a shot gun approach and ordered three different ones. That left me with a blank I needed to get started on, but working a bit backwards; guide placement, wrapping, turning cork on handle and finishing the thread epoxy, and faith that the reel seat once received would fit to specs and it’d just be a matter of 5 minute epoxy and off she’d be sent in the mail to her recipient.

Things went well for the most part, but I had no backup cork to replace the grip should I not like it’s outcome. I wavered with either sticking to a shape I typically use, know and like, or going with something a little different who’s shape has been knocking at the back door. This whole thing was a bit of an untethered space walk so…. hell, let’s try that new idea.

Sitting well, finished the butt section applying the stripping guide and finishing wraps. Signature was one continues line, something I typically break into two, but somehow it looked nice and simple as one. This is where things started getting slippery as the epoxy finish over it started to give me troubles; too blobby, not smooth, lost a letter or two and off she came, wiped off clean with a little DNA before it was set up. However in my attempt to level the epoxy by letting the rod sit rather than rotate, the epoxy over the wraps butting against the face of the cork started to spread and I didn’t notice it till it was too late. Speaking of underwear and stains!

Second attempt I split the signature line into two to save me some troubles, but was back and forth between completely saturating the cork face with epoxy to make it uniform. I did, but then didn’t want a glossy front surface and tried to wipe it down as if that would soften it. It was all hands on deck and working against best practices with epoxy - leave it the f#ck alone! Mixed up another batch of thinned epoxy and spread it thinly across the face, turned off the lights and walked away for my own good, and the rod’s.

This has been a lesson between having a plan, executing it with skill and precision, and having to be reactionary to curve balls and unknown high speed pitches from every direction. In the end someone is going to love this rod, or at least it’s intentions, and yes there are things to compliment it by. But to me, it’s a little like the difference between looking at a painting by Picasso that looks like a three year old had done it, and one that a three year old had painted. In the end it’s all jazz, or so I've been told.

Post 20 Jun 2022, 20:31 • #2 
Master Guide
That came out nice. I liked the color of the Sakura I saw in person too. Your thread color is a nice complement to the blank.

Post 21 Jun 2022, 07:27 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The random threadwork is very neat and fit's the "sakura" very well as interwoven branches. And the reel seat turned out marvelously. And I don't want to think how many times I've had to relearn the first law of epoxy, which you stated so eloquently. I feel your pain.

Post 21 Jun 2022, 15:40 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Before I saw this rod I never in a million years would have bought, built, or been seen on the water with a pink rod. But you've changed my mind. Almost. :) Beautiful choice of thread color and the random winds are a perfect touch. Well done!!

Last edited by tiptop on 21 Jun 2022, 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Jun 2022, 16:45 • #5 
Guide
Well, you may have had your problems, but that is a beautiful rod! Well done!

steve

Post 22 Jun 2022, 07:09 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I bet that jazz was the talk of the CFR weekend trip - awesome build!

Post 22 Jun 2022, 12:19 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I love those wraps.I may get into building at some point Can only tie so many flies and working with my hands is the only thing I am good at .Still a few more doctors to see but my career in construction seems to be over.

Post 25 Jun 2022, 21:55 • #8 
Sport
Nice!

Post 27 Jun 2022, 11:07 • #9 
Guide
Oh my...that turned out spectacular. Well Done!!!
Carl

Post 30 Jun 2022, 14:27 • #10 
Sport
i had Matt Leiderman build a 7'6" 4wt Sakura for my daughters College Graduation from UM Montana,very unique rod and smooth caster,you can see it on his facebook page,it has the pink wood burl reelseat,i really like your wraps,very well done !

Post 13 Aug 2022, 19:59 • #11 
Master Guide
I’m with tiptop … never thought I’d even consider a pink rod for myself but that is a beautiful rod with exquisite craftsmanship. Well done.

Post 13 Aug 2022, 21:24 • #12 
Sport
Thanks you all for the kind words. It's also a lovely casting rod, much different than Tomo's Yomogi.

Post 02 Sep 2022, 13:42 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
The wraps are great........Aurelio

Post 02 Sep 2022, 19:54 • #14 
Sport
I'm with the others, the rod came out beautifully and the wraps are stunning!

Great job!!!

New Topic Add Reply