It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:32

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 May 2022, 15:01 • #1 
A couple each big ol' glass rods from the early '70s - FF98, FF109S. Collectors might want these; you'd have to really want to fish them, because you'd be sacrificing performance compared to any cheap graphite 10-weight today. It'd be like using an IBM PC from 1983 to host a website - you could, but why? Maybe just to say you did...

Maybe there is a secret club of striper folks out there who love these...

Post 30 May 2022, 16:20 • #2 
Guide
Hello Steve and welcome to the Forum!
I will match your FF109 and raise you a FF112S (9wt) + FF9310 (10wt) + FF114 (11wt) + FF9012 (12wt) I have more but that is just my heavy Fenwicks.
Yes there are some manly men flyrodders here on the forum that fish the heavy weights. As to why? It is the same reason some guys own and drive 56 Chevys. Sure there are modern cars with all the bells and whistles but the design and function of vintage cars with all their limitations is what makes it fun. It is the same collecting and fishing with vintage fly rods and reels. It can be fun and challenging to drive vintage cars and so it also is fishing with vintage fiberglass rods. It’s slow and easy with that great fiberglass wobble at the end of the cast. I can cast my 10-11wt’s 90-100ft with large streamers. Yes they are big & heavy but that is why you get big & heavy fish and big fun! You mentioned stripers, are you an East Coast striper guy?

Post 07 Jun 2022, 22:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
welcome Steve !

those are eminently fishable rods.. my FL108-9 built on a blank, weighs 1/4oz more than my 9'6" 8wt Sage graphite also built on a blank.. so it's not any measurable amount heavier.
It also performs better than my cheap 10wt graphite ;-) Lamiglas built on a blank, I'd rather fish the Fenwick than the Lamiglas, casts as well and better for fighting fish..

netman, that's a fine quiver of Fenwicks.. very nice.

New Topic Add Reply