It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:57

New Topic Add Reply
Claudio 857A
Post 10 Mar 2021, 20:43 • #1 
Sport
First one I've seen. Stunning rod, had to share it.

-Nate

Re: Claudio 857A
Post 10 Mar 2021, 22:20 • #2 
Master Guide
Wow that’s a beautiful rod!

Post 10 Mar 2021, 23:34 • #3 
Administrator
You have to get around more. :) No, that pile of Claudios is not mine. The photo is from the Golden Gate Casting Club in March 2010. The club has some dedicated glass fans.

Mr. Claudio's thread work was outstanding. The guides have a short section of doubled thread to strengthen the wrap. My photo does not show this well, but Nate's last photo does. The ferrule wraps are doubled also.

Tom

Post 10 Mar 2021, 23:41 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That’s an absolute stunner.

Post 11 Mar 2021, 00:32 • #5 
Sport
What a fine looking pile of glass Tom! I've certainly never seen so many in one place before.

I should have specified, this is the first *857* I've seen before. I managed to dig up a few pictures of other 857A rods on the forum but I've never seen one in person besides this one. I wonder if it was much of a production model for him (if ANY Claudio rods could be considered "production" models).

I got a few in the other day, very much looking forward to casting the 7wt.

Top to bottom: 805A, 857A, 898B, 910B

Post 11 Mar 2021, 06:11 • #6 
Master Guide
Wow, what a sweet collection. I own an 856, one of the best casting rods I own. Thanks for sharing!

Post 11 Mar 2021, 10:38 • #7 
Guide
Very nice, I was not familiar with those rods.

Post 11 Mar 2021, 20:09 • #8 
Master Guide
Freestone
I just checked your site You’ve got some tasty offerings on there.

Post 12 Mar 2021, 12:24 • #9 
Sport
Thanks Ottobahn! Keep an eye on it, there's some more great glass on the way ;)

-Nate

Post 18 Mar 2021, 15:02 • #10 
Guide
Quick question on the last pic posted in the first series from Freestone Vintage. I notice the tip top is wrapped up the blank, but stops a couple winds from the base of the tip top. I was under the impression that it was best to wrap up onto the tip top a few winds at least, then epoxy in place. As an extra way of holding everything in place. What are your opinions on that?

Post 19 Mar 2021, 17:05 • #11 
Sport
Good question. It seems like most rods I have seen are wrapped up to the tip top, but not necessarily over the tip top itself. My understanding is that the epoxy/adhesive under the tip top is doing the heavy lifting in terms of keeping the tip top from coming loose, but I could be wrong. I would be interested to hear what an experienced rod maker would have to say about it.

Nate

Post 19 Mar 2021, 17:53 • #12 
Administrator
A mounted tip guide tube has a square edge. A hard blow directly on that edge could knock the guide off the rod, perhaps taking an inch or two of blank. The tip wrap should deflect a blow from catching on the edge. Hint for builders; wrapping the tip guide with extra fine thread and leaving a square edge anyway isn't good practice.

The tip wrap also is decorative - a chance for the rod builder to show they covered every detail. A gap, like shown above, might mean the tip guide is slightly loose (very fixable). The gap may also mean a worn out tip guide was replaced, but new tube was slightly shorter. A little gap between an original wrap and the tip guide is not a big issue if the tip guide is solidly mounted.

When evaluating a rod I always look at the tip wrap. A rod with no tip wrap, or a mismatched tip wrap, indicates the tip guide was replaced and possibly the blank was broken. Of course, a fly rod with no tip wrap, a spinning rod tip top, and a snake guide two inches away, is a "just say no" moment.

Tom

Post 19 Mar 2021, 18:47 • #13 
Master Guide
Believe the original rod shown was wrapped this way at the tip intentionally as a decorative touch rather than being an example of a rod reflecting damage in the image noted. For example on another full length Claudio I have seen this as well where the tip wrapping did not go fully to the base of the tip-top, yet upon close inspection was a wrap or two shy of touching the tip top. Some builders such as our Glassmaster are known for wrapping not only up to but onto the tip top on some builds. I further agree with Tom's points above but would think if this rod is full length then it is likely original.

The photograph shown below was from a rod previously owned demonstrates these rods were not always wrapped to the very end of the ferrules either.

New Topic Add Reply