It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:53

New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Dec 2020, 17:40 • #1 
Sport
Hope everyone has a good holiday.

Here is an Iconoglass 805 in gray. This is finished with a water-based varnish made by Totalboat called Halcyon Clear. I had never heard of it and thought I’d give it a try.

Post 24 Dec 2020, 18:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful!!!

Post 24 Dec 2020, 20:52 • #3 
Master Guide
Very nice!

Post 24 Dec 2020, 22:52 • #4 
Guide
Nice work! I really like the coloration combinations!

Post 24 Dec 2020, 22:57 • #5 
Sport
Fine looking rod!

Post 29 Dec 2020, 22:07 • #6 
Guide
So, what about the varnish? Anything special about it? How many coats? I've always been a Flex Coat guy.

Post 30 Dec 2020, 11:39 • #7 
Sport
I don’t know if there’s anything special about it per se. My intent was to put it out there as another perhaps unknown water based alternative to epoxy and oil based finishes. I’ve chosen water based because I have cats and kids running around and my rod building space is near to my wife’s work at home space. For me it’s less messy, less odor, probably safer, and easy clean up and I’m satisfied with the results. I just build for myself. It takes about 4-5 coats, can be reapplied in an hour or 2, and can be lightly sanded. It has a very slight amber tone, it’s not gin clear.

Post 30 Dec 2020, 13:52 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Looks great for starters. Once someone knows rodbuilding basics, an experiment like this is worthwhile--and encouraging when the initial results look good. The finish manufacturer's website gives lots of information about the product, its characteristics, application, thinning, and so on. From the product description, I wondered if the product is as flexible as some marine finishes--important on a fly rod so the finish doesn't crack or check. Any marine finish is resilient in rugged conditions such as changes in temperature and humidity that expand/contract wood surfaces. Rapid flex as in spars or a fly rod challenge any finish. Your trial use is the best way to find out, and thanks for showing. Now time and use will tell !

Post 30 Dec 2020, 17:23 • #9 
Sport
I did actually take the rod out for the day this past Saturday. It fishes very well in my opinion. I didn’t catch any large trout but caught a mix of browns and rainbows ranging up to 12”. The finish didn’t crack or check yet that I can tell. So the initial outing is a positive. If anything catastrophic happens with the finish I’ll report back.

Post 30 Dec 2020, 20:31 • #10 
Administrator
Please report back on the finish - good, bad, or in between. Water based products are far more user friendly than oil/solvent based.

This finish reminds me of the old Gudebrod one part, water based rod finish. It was a nice product, but it took several coats to truly cover the thread. It could be used as a color preservative too. It was exceptionally handy for refreshing dry thread wraps. I built a couple rods with it almost 15 years ago and they are still in good shape with no cracks or discoloration. Of course, Gudebrod is long since gone.

Tom

New Topic Add Reply