It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:22

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Oct 2020, 19:57 • #1 
I was given this L.L. Bean 7'6" Featherweight fiberglass fly rod. It belonged to a friend's grandfather who passed away. My friend doesn't fish and thought his grandfather would like it to go to someone who would appreciate it.

The rod came with what looks like the original tube and sock and all are in nice condition. I'm hoping someone on this forum might have more information about it. I'm interested in who might have manufactured it and when. I'm pretty sure it's a 5 or 6 weight but any thoughts on that would be nice too. I would also take any suggestions for a reel that might go nice with it. Maybe something that could have been purchased with it back in the day. I have a Pflueger Medalist 1495 that might work nice. Thanks for your help and thank you for letting me become a member. I've often come to this excellent forum for information and have been impressed with all of the knowledge so willingly shared.
Here are a few more images of the rod. Please let me know if I should have loaded them in some other way.

Last edited by willywilco on 26 Oct 2020, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.

Post 26 Oct 2020, 20:15 • #2 
Master Guide
Very nice!!

Looks like a Phillipson made rod. I have both the MF76 and MF76L Phillipsons and one is a 6 and one a 5. Not sure which blank yours is made from but a 1494 reel works great with both rods. A 1495 is just a little large but balances well. I like both 5&6 lines on my 76 and 5 on my 76L.

Nice rod to keep! Very smooth.

Mike

Post 26 Oct 2020, 20:28 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Definitely a Phillipson. It might feel like a 5 when you wiggle it, but try a 6 or a 7wt on it. These are wonderful rods.

Post 26 Oct 2020, 20:37 • #4 
Good to know. Maybe I'll pick up a 1494. I'm definitely keeping it!

Post 26 Oct 2020, 22:20 • #5 
Administrator
That rod is either from 1960, just before the Phillipson shareholders sold the company to Johnson reels (Johnson cancelled contracts with other companies) or from 1964/1965 after Bill Phillipson bought the company back. Cosmetically the rod looks most like the Johnson Profile 8F76LC. The rod is not marked for a line weight, so I would lean to the earlier date.

The rod has a nickel silver ferrule. Make sure the ferrule is clean! Try a six weight line and see how it feels. I don't think a Medalist reel foot will fit this reelseat. You may need something thinner, such as a Hardy made Scientific Angler's System 6. A Johnson Magnetic No. 3 reel might fit too.

Tom

Post 27 Oct 2020, 07:33 • #6 
Thanks for the information on the possible age of this rod. I'm pretty sure my friend who gave it to me will find it interesting too. It looks pretty good for something that old! I'm looking forward to getting out this weekend to try a few lines with it, after I clean the ferrule of course. I'll be checking into those suggested reels too. By the way, it weighs in at 3.52 ounces which is about the same weight I saw listed for the MF76.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can protect that label on the rod tube so that it doesn't get any worse for wear?

John

Post 27 Oct 2020, 08:23 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
LL Bean has an excellent archive of old catalogs. With the time period and type already narrowed down, you might be surprised--the customer rep might be as well--how easily they can locate a display listing of that exact model in the spring catalog, 1960 or so. Worth an email to inquire.

Post 27 Oct 2020, 10:36 • #8 
Thanks for that suggestion. I'll give it a try and let you know if I find out anything new.

John

Post 27 Oct 2020, 20:47 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
People laugh at my rod protection equipment. I get these on ebay and they stretch over tubes for 8' 2pc rods fine.
They provide abrasion resistance for those labels.

That reminds me. I need a few more of these, and at $2.50 drop shipped from China, they are cheap enough to protect all my nice tubes. Though my rod storage does sort of look like an Anime collection.

Post 28 Oct 2020, 12:50 • #10 
Thanks for that suggestion. I've never seen anything like those before.

Post 29 Oct 2020, 03:50 • #11 
Guide
carlz wrote:
People laugh at my rod protection equipment. I get these on ebay and they stretch over tubes for 8' 2pc rods fine.
They provide abrasion resistance for those labels.

That reminds me. I need a few more of these, and at $2.50 drop shipped from China, they are cheap enough to protect all my nice tubes. Though my rod storage does sort of look like an Anime collection.
Can you provide a link to the source. Would like to order a few. Orvis long ago sold tube socks, surprised they stopped.

Post 29 Oct 2020, 07:33 • #12 
I heard back from L.L. Bean about the rod listing. Here's what they said:

Our Featherweight Fly Rod debuted in fiberglass in Spring 1955. The 7 ½’ length wasn't offered until 1963, going forward from there the 7 ½’ length was offered intermittently. I’ve attached the catalog listing from Spring 1963 but there was no info provided on who made the rod.

It doesn't quite look like the one pictured so it's probably a little newer than '63 but mid to late 60's is a pretty good estimate.

John

Last edited by willywilco on 29 Oct 2020, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post 29 Oct 2020, 17:15 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Great ! Typically at that time, trade rods weren't identified as to OEM by the retailer. You figured it out by comparison with rods in the core brand form, or sometimes from hints in the wording of a description or advertising. For instance, the phrase "tubular fiberglass bonded under high pressure with epoxy" might have micmicked wording in Phillipson ads of the day or even been identical. Also, quite possibly--I don't remember in spite of having bought a couple rods in Freeport in the early 1960s--the store carried the Beans labeled rod and the Phillipson form as well, so they could be compared side by side. Over the years I have seen this from time to time with Beans or other retailers--JW Young Reels at the store, and then the same reel in a different color sold with the Bean's name--being the last I recall.

And oh my gosh, I can't resist looking at that catalog blast from the past. I had completely forgotten the Judge Palmer fly, a killer just as described, with much better castability/fishability than one of its popular evolutionary forms today, the wooly bugger.

Post 29 Oct 2020, 20:24 • #14 
On a similar note, I looked up that no.1554 reel they packaged the rod with and couldn't find a L.L. Bean version, but it's easy to find a Plueger Sal Trout 1554. I thought maybe they could be the same thing.

Post 30 Oct 2020, 19:45 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
That supplied ad text definitely indicates a Phillipson rod to me. Clues being under high pressure, epoxy and nickel silver ferrules.

Post 31 Oct 2020, 08:39 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
cappy wrote:
carlz wrote:

Can you provide a link to the source. Would like to order a few. Orvis long ago sold tube socks, surprised they stopped.

There are a bunch of different "sellers" on ebay for the same item. And an ebay link isn't going to be persistent.
they are in "fishing" "fishing equipment" "rods cases, tubes and racks"

You have to avoid the "braided mesh" ones. Every time I try and find them, it requires a bit of searching on ebay. They are hidden by all the other search results.

Here is a link https://www.ebay.com/b/Rod-Cases-Tubes-Racks-/81473 but it will expire after a while. Again, there are other sellers. Shipping takes a couple of months. I usually forget that I ordered it and get a surprise a few months later.

Post 31 Oct 2020, 14:21 • #17 
Guide
Thank you!!

Post 15 Nov 2020, 11:27 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
A follow-up. My rod tube sock order arrived in less than 3 weeks. They still quote 2-3 months, but I was happily surprised.

Post 16 Nov 2020, 19:17 • #19 
I was able to find a couple of reels recently to try with this rod. Thanks for the suggestions everybody. Now I just need to find a line I like!

Last edited by willywilco on 16 Nov 2020, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post 16 Nov 2020, 19:35 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I love the Magnetic. It took me months to figure out that the spool was removeable.

Post 23 Nov 2020, 16:58 • #21 
I went with a weight forward six weight on the Pfluger 1494 with a couple wraps of lead tape to balance it out. It casts nice in my yard so looking forward to trying it out for real one of these days.

New Topic Add Reply