It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:37

New Topic Add Reply
Lamiglas FL 90 6M
Post 08 Apr 2020, 10:45 • #1 
Master Guide
My new old stock arrived this morning. Unbelievable vintage look. I looked up the Lamiglas inventory page but it seems to be a little out of date. In the forum, I’ve only been able to find one other such Lami noting the action. M - medium F - fast. Not much info on dates. I’m finishing up a new 956 and begun a new 904. Might be Year of the Lami. Can’t wait to post finished product.

I’m guessing this is a model from the 70’s or 80’s?

Bulldog, I will respond to your post from Another Spin.Image

Re: Lamiglas FL 90 6M
Post 08 Apr 2020, 12:35 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice!!! I've got the same blank waiting in the wings that I got about a month ago. I couldn't find much about it either, let me know what you come up with. Not sure I will get to it now, as I need to get tying flies, but it hard not to start the build! Regardless, now I can live vicariously. The Lami 904 is my favorite rod, you will love that one. Did you mean 965? I just finished that Lami and it is a keeper too.

Looking forward to the finished products!

Post 08 Apr 2020, 17:24 • #3 
Master Guide
I’m working on both the 904 and 965. Almost done with the 965 but waiting on craft brushes to arrive because I will not go to big box or hobby lobby right now. I’ve read a lot about the 904 and folks tell me it’s the one Lami to have. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for a Lamiglas 6 wgt and jumped on it. $85 is a great price. I fish 6 weight rods a lot for Smallmouth. I also use #3 and #4 a lot in creeks. And sometimes, trout. But that 6 means the world to me.

Post 08 Apr 2020, 17:35 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That is going to make a nice classic 'glass rod. Plus the sharp pics will be handy next time we have an inquiry about a yellowish blank. Thanks.

Post 09 Apr 2020, 05:49 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
That blank brings back memories of a trip to Dale Clemens Custom Tackle in Allentown, PA many moons ago!!

Post 27 May 2020, 23:33 • #6 
Master Guide
Rod supposedly weighed 2 ounces - as listed by seller on eBay. Tip tip is 1.98 mm or a tad over. Butt was .575 - from my best recollection - had to cut and place stent. Tip heavy. Rod is exceptionally light in the hand. Redington Zero won’t level it out and a 5.5 ounce Allen ATS is a tad heavy. Ocean City 67 may work - a bit heavy too.

Rod was pretty dirty. Also, somehow, logo looks not as faded as it actually is - mostly the L and G. I edited photo for better viewing of logo and rod. I did not touch logo until just before wrapping with a very gentle washing of soapy water.

Should finish wrapping guides tomorrow. Pictures soon. Still no info on rod blanks. If anybody knows more specific info, let us know. Dragging butt in it because creeks are blown out.

Again thanks to those of you that appreciate my meager builds. 10 builds - 5 good ones with 3 being exceptional and 1 sold. Still looking for that perfect or most satisfying build.

This could be it but It’ll need time on the water.

Post 31 May 2020, 19:31 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Looking forward to the finished product and a review of its casting/fishing abilities!

Post 17 Jun 2020, 10:40 • #8 
Master Guide
Not going to post a photo of my Lamiglas 6 wgt build yet. However, I’ll tell you that I’m about to pull my hair out. I will be redoing the winding check wraps for a 7th time - 3 of those have already been coated with thread finish. Right now, I have replaced the cedar wraps with only Umber winding check wraps. Initially, I had “cedar” (Kimono Mt.Fuji w/no CP) and Umber trim bands (Kimono Mississippi Mud w/no CP). I just have to watch thread tension and burnishing the heck out of them. Tedious. If they don't come out proper, just going back to the Umber. After all, I can't go fishing until my foot heals.

The issue is that even after doing test wraps, the Cedar “logo framing” wraps look good even in the sun but with the lighter translucent wraps over the yellow Lami blank, a 1/2 inch of Mt.Fuji winding check wraps isn’t seemingly all that attractive.

But maybe I’m over scrutinizing the build.

I’ll have dimensions and other info as I fish it. Seems moderate/fast action right now. I’ve got it all built out except the winding check. Leans more towards moderate.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 19:03 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
You may well be over-scrutinizing. I do the same thing. I have built rods with which I was unhappy, but now as I fish them I can't remember what was wrong with them.

Post 17 Jun 2020, 19:53 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I'm with Tomah. There is always at least one thing that bugs me right after finishing the rod, but after a few outings I can't remember what it is. Hang in there!

New Topic Add Reply