It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Feb 2020, 14:56 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Had a ton of fun re-doing this rod, and there's a thread in the rod building forum going through all the steps and advice from everyone. Far from perfect but psyched how it came out!

Post 23 Feb 2020, 19:43 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome! Love it!

Post 23 Feb 2020, 22:03 • #3 
Guide
Wow, great job wrapping the guides!

Post 25 Feb 2020, 11:35 • #4 
Sport
nice work!

Post 05 Mar 2020, 13:42 • #5 
Nice work.
Will check out the thread in the rod building forum as I have two jets to rebuild.

Post 05 Mar 2020, 23:09 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Cool - it's a lot of fun, and they're great blanks. Supposed to be warm this Sunday so thinking I might get it on the water for the first time - can't wait!

Post 06 Mar 2020, 07:02 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Great Job Refurbishing That Jet !
Can't wait to see some fish pictures.
Tight Lines And Go Bend That Jet Loops
Andy Man

Post 21 Mar 2020, 12:56 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Wow the world has changed since I finished this build! Having been stuck in the house for the last ten days it felt great to get out on the water.

This streams is pretty much a put and take fishery in the Spring, but it does have a run of landlocks in the Fall, and I've caught rainbows, browns and lake trout in the fall that have also run up from the reservoir. I've seen small brookies in here before, but never actually caught one.

They stocked rainbows this week so I gave it a shot this morning. Talked to one guy (from a safe distance!) and he said he came by yesterday and there was a power bait and bucket brigade going to town on the fish that had just been stocked. I know the world likes that the stocking schedule is posted on the internet so they know where to fish, but if everyone starts fishing the one pool they stocked right away the fish just don't disperse. The pool was literally empty this morning.

I gave up and walked upstream for the heck of it, and there I caught my first fish on this rebuild.

Made my day.

Post 21 Mar 2020, 13:44 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Hello
Very Nice !
On A Positive Note.
Please Tell Us More Of Your Impressions of Your Newly Refurbished Fly Rod.
For example what lines have you tried on the rod and what line do you like best ?
Do you find that the rod loads quickly,or is it a faster taper, slower to load with lots of power when it finally gets a good bend in the bottom end ?
The Hardy Tapers Can Be Very Different from the rest of the Fisher Based Rods.

Was this an old favorite of yours or was it a new to you rod purchased to harvest a classic blank ?

What fly did you fool that Brookie with ?
How was the hook set was this the only fish to bite ?

Tight Lines And Full Of Questions Loops
Andy Man
:)

Post 21 Mar 2020, 15:42 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
So far I've fished it with a Wulff Triangle Taper 7 weight, which was very smooth casting with even a little weight on a fly. Today I was using a Rio StreamerTip WF7F/I, as the water where I was fishing was a little higher and I figured the fish would be down in the deeper pools.

I really like fishing it - I've had it out 2x both on relatively small streams, so I've yet to try to cast it more than 50 feet - just no need for that. It's a great tool in close, and yet the few times I've cast longer just for the fun of it I could feel the power down in the butt. It's certainly slower than my 8'6" Morgan that I built out a few years ago.

In terms of mending line, again I was mending in close and streamer fishing, so not a ton of subtlety required, but no complaints.

I've only had one fish put a bend in it, and that brookie was not huge, but there was a nice bend, so that was fun.

The stream is an old favorite, about 45 minutes from my home in Boston's Western Suburbs. It is a pretty stream, and it would be even better if it had a fly only section, but alas it does not!

New Topic Add Reply