It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:20

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Aug 2015, 16:54 • #1 
Guide
https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/2 ... and-build/

Lawn casting says the rod is slow (no surprise), and I will need to spend some with it before I have completed balancing it with the best reel and line. Right now, I have a Wulff Ambush 9wt on it, but I am thinking a longer head 8 wt would be a better choice.

Quick construction notes (from my memory):

* A James Green 7wt 10′ Fiberglass Rod – “re-purposed” into a short two-hand spey.
* Maple dowel insert in bottom to provide strength on the underhand
* Cork individually drill and glued onto blank (then turned on blank)
* Lemke Real Seat, with Ron (Southwest) providing a Cherry Burl Insert (maybe wrong on wood)
* Joe Arguello Agate Stripping Guide
* Silk Thread – with two trim colours
* Al’s Bamboo Color Lock
* Writing with Faber Castel Pen on First Layer of Epoxy, roughen with 1000 grit sandpaper
* ProKote Epoxy – 3 thin coats.

Post 10 Aug 2015, 17:48 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like it!

Post 11 Aug 2015, 11:11 • #3 
Guide
Thank you

Post 12 Aug 2015, 13:53 • #4 
Master Guide
I'll be interested in where you end up on your grain preference for the rod. I tend to like these shorter switch rods as scandi rods, verses use as a micro-skagit rod.

I also like the build.

Post 12 Aug 2015, 16:26 • #5 
Guide
post from yesterday ... https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/2 ... with-reel/

Today, in balancing the rod, I went with the lightest reel I have – Loop (Danielsson) 3W – and added on a RIO VersiTip (no id unfortunately) which I had with my Scandi 7wt setup to a Wulff Ambush 9wt 390gr line and started casting some nice tight loops. I was happily surprised at how light the setup is!

Post Publish Note – One website lists the Wulff 9wt as 390grains, but Wulff themselves its the weight as 350grains. I think I have two distinct but similar choices to try:

* 9wt Ambush with RIO 10′ InTouch 7wt, getting me to 425grains
* 10wt Ambush with Airflow PolyLeaders (10′ probably) getting me to 430+grains.

Lawn casting last night, I was thinking I would want a longer head and less weight, but today it was good. Real good and using a light reel was great! In talking to James last night, his suggestion is to try a line of 425 grains – or better stated, get 425 grains out past the tip. So the Ambush 9wt with tip may be best, but I may be looking to work in a 10wt line to compare.

I did not buy-build this rod to throw long, but to fish and catch steelhead in tight quarters, where 60′ is the pool against the bank across the river and trees are everywhere. This appears to suit this just fine and I am happy! As far as the cast – slow down and at the end of the forward cast, give it a little snap forward and you should a tight loop to the bank on the other side of the river bank.

The fore-handle handle length is right for me, with my cast movement (more scandi under-hand versus a traditional top hand caster), I am finding, I am placing (extending) my fore-thumb naturally from 15.5″ to 17″. A shorter for handle would not be good (and longer would be irrevelant).

The knife represents the balance point, probably a little too far back and noting I have the lightest reel on a down locking reel-seat, I could have moved the reel up by 0.5″ to 1″ inch with a little more cork on the aft grip. Never-the-less, it holds well and I get to use the lightest reel possible, which is great.

Post 14 Aug 2015, 14:59 • #6 
Master Guide
The grains a bit higher than I would have thought, but glass tends to handle a wide range of grains. I would have guessed more in the 300 grain range. I've considered a very similar setup for lake run browns in MT/WY.

Post 15 Aug 2015, 17:30 • #7 
Sport
I'm really digging the wraps on this build. Nice job!

Post 21 Aug 2021, 16:31 • #8 
Guide
Updating a 6 year post. This past year, I was using some Airflo Switch Tapers (before thy were discontinued), from 300+ grans, and settled on the 360 grain. It did work with the 330, but I found the cast was more relaxed with the 360 grain.

Post 22 Aug 2021, 01:39 • #9 
Sport
The rod is a beauty!

Post 22 Aug 2021, 08:19 • #10 
Guide
Bonefish 808. Thank you.

I have taken a long pause in building rods, as I focus on other things (spey, tying flies, gardening ...), but returning as I have several (6 outstanding fiberglass projects, including an 8' 4wt Tom Morgan Blank) I want to finish and fish.

Next up is a James Green 3wt 4pc heritage custom to be one of my suitcase rods.

New Topic Add Reply