It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 05:07

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: VINCE CUMMINGS ROD
Post 04 Aug 2012, 21:53 • #26 
Sport
They are Mamma mia fishing places.. ... best in the world!

Post 05 Aug 2012, 07:00 • #27 
Sport
A great reunion of the PK area gang. Elk's camp on Sprout Creek was another special place! Chip

Post 05 Aug 2012, 13:13 • #28 
Sport
chip,

Dutchess county fair should be starting around the 10th of August
... want to go?

Paul

Post 05 Aug 2012, 15:06 • #29 
Sport
The DC Fair ... a turkey sandwich was always a highlight ... a American Legion draft beer ... some hand cut fries ... and pie a la mode ... sweet! Chip

Post 05 Aug 2012, 15:49 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
don't forget the 4H Club milkshakes. They are THE BEST!

Post 05 Aug 2012, 15:57 • #31 
Sport
The American way of life. ..can't beat it. ...
Man what I would give for one of those milkshakes right now. ..!

Post 09 Aug 2012, 19:10 • #32 
Master Guide
So great to hear you all share those memories.

Never got far enough up north for the RJK - I always would head to one of the Crotons. Wish i had wandered a bit.
The Bedford sportsman for the license - a joy that I bought a Vince Cummings Superlite from Eric Leiser. Will always keep it ... always ... Great times - never met Mr. Cummings - do remember in the shop all those short beauties of his that were the rage then.
Great time for fishing then - in that area - never knew who you would meet. Saw Gary LaFontaine quite often - he'd come over from Ct, like I did - saw him on the East Branch ...

Great memories - thanks all ... a great and innovative craftperson ... Vince Cummings ...

Post 19 Aug 2012, 16:11 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you so much for all that have added to this fantastic tale of Vince. I've enjoyed reading your posts tremendously.

Post 19 Aug 2012, 17:07 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
I believe this has been linked before on our forum ...
http://gregrummo.net/gregrummo/vince_Cummings.pdf

Post 19 Aug 2012, 17:18 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for posting that link Gearboy, I had not seen that article.

Post 21 Aug 2012, 21:44 • #36 
Sport
Thanks for posting that link to the NYS Conservationst, I used
Subscribe to it and I have that edition. .. It covered everything
About NYS fly fishing. .great stuff about Vin. .he was surely A piece
Of work you put a rod in a tube the wrong way he would
Give you sermon as to why it was unhealthy for the rod to be
In that position, you never made the same mistake twice, when
He spoke like all Great craftsman you listened. .

Gearboy I see your from the Shenandoah Valley of the great state Virgina. .
That state has produced a few great builders, one them of course was
Dave Lewis, I'm also an acquaintance of Dave's, May he rest in Peace, also
An exceptional and innovative fly rod builder ... first met him at the Somerset show and purchased a two piece 1 weight from Dave, one of a few rods he has custom
Built for me. ..Like Vince a special personality and he knew what you wanted before you could totally convey your needs to him, these gentlemen are a breed that you
Will never see again, they are gone forever, I'm just thankful I was able to be
Involved in some way, it has surely enriched my life. ..

Paul

Post 21 Aug 2012, 21:58 • #37 
Glass Fanatic
This has been another one of those amazing posts that makes me feel lucky to be a part of this site. Thank you to everyone who posted.

Post 21 Aug 2012, 22:33 • #38 
Sport
Chip,
Two more days of the Dutchess county fair. ..let's go man!
We can head to that spot at Albrechts farm with a couple of Vince's
Rods and do a few of those big brown trout in on dry flies after the fair, Millbrook is
Right Around the corner. ..I only wish I could, 3k miles away from
Dutchess co. ... Peace and good health to all. ...
Paul

Post 22 Aug 2012, 05:42 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
Trouter3, I first met Dave Lewis and his lovely wife Mary Lu (I think she had about the nicest writing of anyone on a fly rod) at our local TU show in the late 90's. Dave was top drawer, salt of the earth, a true gentleman, and a builder that you just wanted to buy a rod from. The rod I have is my favorite brookie rod for Shenandoah National Park streams. Not much is written or mentioned about Dave on our forum. I have a catalog from Dave that I need to photograph and get posted.

Post 22 Aug 2012, 06:12 • #40 
Glass Fanatic

Post 22 Aug 2012, 10:08 • #41 
Sport
Gearboy,
Dave Lewis's performance fly rods does not get then attention and PR it deserves, he was as good a builder, or maybe more versatile than Cummings was. . He built two of the most beautiful pack rods for me, one a six piece glass rod and the other a six piece sage graphite rod rated for a 3/4 line. ..I picked up a rod from him at his place in Harrisonburg, va, just b4 he left on his yearly MT trip. . Mary Lu was a very gracious lady. ..he loved to fly fish out west. .have you ever read his short stories on the places and fish he caught. ..fabulous stuff and he was professional photographer for sure. .. I've got a picture of a brown trout he gave to me it hangs in My den where I can see his work every day.. In my estimation he died of the same thing Vince did, inhaling those chemicals all those years caused lung and heart problem, he changed his finishes on rods in later years to a marine spar varnish,they were beautiful. .. Another great fly rod craftsman has left us, his work and love for people will last forever..
I hope it is my privledge to once again stand next two these great people and fly fish again with them in that great trout stream in heaven. ...
Paul

Post 22 Aug 2012, 12:17 • #42 
Master Guide
Trouter:

I was born and raised in Haverstraw, Thiells actually, next to NRHS. I had not heard of Vince until many years after I left for college. I thought he lived in Stony Point -- did he have a shop in Haverstraw? I also remember Matt's on 9W just up from the Village under the watchful slope of Hi Tor. I caught my first trout and later my first fly-caught trout on the Minisceongo.

--Rich

Post 22 Aug 2012, 13:23 • #43 
Sport
Rich,
Vince lived in Stony point, Yes, Thiells, Mt Ivy, Garneville, Haverstraw, area there where
Some nice productive little creeks and streams like the Miniscengo creek that
Filtered out of Harriman state park ... one in particular was a favorite of mine for UL
Fly fishng right off rte 17, in Sloatsburg , seven lakes drive there as a stream that was stocked for quite a few years, not many people fished it because it was in park. .it was on the same road as the old Davis sporting. Shop. .alot of that area was very lightly fished, it was protected by the Bergman chapter of TU ... also alot of private property u had to know how to get around it. ..NRHS know it well, I was alittle south of you, Spring Valley, Pearl River. .. Nice talking to you
Paul

Post 22 Aug 2012, 13:57 • #44 
Master Guide
Southern NY was the cradle of rod building civilization, or at least the Fertile Crescent of it, in it heyday:

Leonard in Central Valley, along with a string of refugees that set up shop nearby
Payne in Highland Mills
Uslan in Spring Valley
Feierabend in Pearl River
Garrison in Ossining
Halstead in Brewster
Cummings in Stony Point

Post 23 Aug 2012, 06:59 • #45 
Sport
I will tease the audience a little with my promise to post pictures of my VC 6' 8" ' THE AMAWALK ' which Steve Hoye http://www.klondikerod.com/ is restoring.

I remember it like yesterday and subsequent posts have made it more vivid ... thanks!

Our research so far has turned up only one rod branded ' THE AMAWALK '.

I use to think that we met, discussed fishing the waters of Dutchess and Westchester counties, Vince watched me cast, he described a taper that he thought I would enjoy, we shook hands and three weeks later I picked up this incredible rod especially designed for me. In reality all of the above is probably mostly true but I was experiencing real time customization and didn't realize it. VC took my input and called it ' THE AMAWALK ' as I told him I had just come from this gorgeous little stream, a favorite, on my way to his place.

This rod has brought many, many memories and will be a special gift from Papa to my five year old grandson, Colin, when he is ready. In the meantime I hope it has many more memories in it for me.

Chip

PS: Maybe in 2013 we do a ' GLASS FORUM ' at the Dutchess County Fair! (( SMILE ))

Post 24 Aug 2012, 13:40 • #46 
Sport
Chip count me in we have a standing invitation to sleep in Albrechts barn
With the milk cows. ... :rollin :rollin :rollin

I'm going to the Oregon state fair tomorrow, I might be prejudice but it
Can't possibly compare to the Dutchess county fair..I ll let ya know

Paul

Post 24 Aug 2012, 16:19 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
fantastic discussion guys; thanks for the great read-p-

Post 24 Aug 2012, 16:43 • #48 
Glass Fanatic
Great post gearboy. I love the look of the Dave Lewis glass rods. I just built a Dave Lewis-inspired 7' 3wt honey Lami. I'm just getting back in town from a trip to the Maryland shore, and will post pictures of the rod in a day or two. I love the colors Dave used and so I copied his, choosing a light golden brown and white accent color scheme on my Lami. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. PS -- this post should probably go in the "Rod Papers" thread, no?

Post 24 Aug 2012, 17:08 • #49 
Sport
Gentlemen I'd like to make a comment if I may..GPearow just posted a hello. .im glad I was able to contribute to this discussion and that he has enjoyed it. .. I don't know how many of you are familar with Gene's work as a rod builder..I think that with my experience and association with not only Dave Lewis and Vince Cummings and other builders I can safely say I've become a pretty good judge of craftsmanship in my pursuit of fine fly rods. ..with that in mind Gene Has built four various custom fly rods for me. .. He ain't Lewis or Cummngs yet but he is surely getting there. .. I think if he had the shop Dave or Vince had he could turn out a pretty competitive product. .. I just wanted to pay tribute to a true professional fly fisherman and rod builder. ... Thanks for your indulgences. ... Paul

Post 24 Aug 2012, 17:14 • #50 
Glass Fanatic
Another thing I find neat is another similarity between Dave and Vince. The back of Dave's pamphlet about catch and release, using barbless hooks, and protecting the stream for all to use is exactly like Vince's mantra; "we must get everyone to understand when destroying nature, we're destroying ourselves."

Previous  1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply