It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:45

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Apr 2007, 16:01 • #1 
Here's a few pics of my medium action 7' 2/1 marked "Spaulding" glass rod.
Speculation on the rod is a custom wrap on a Silaflex blank marketed by Spaulding.
Sure is a sweet looking rod with 4 color wraps over the ferrules and a beautiful
thread hosel tipped black at the cork.
I picked it up on eBay a few months ago for $27.00.complete with a crisp clean bag,
original tube with chain linked cap.
I am guessing the rod throws a nice tight 5wt loop, have not had a chance to fish it yet.

Post 12 Apr 2007, 16:15 • #2 
Administrator
Earlier thread on this rod. I still have not heard of Spaulding Rods. Hopefully, someone will know the builder.

Still, it's a nice looking rod with very well done, multicolor threadwork. I hope I can to that level someday.

Just because it's winter, why should that keep you from test casting it? :)

Tom

Post 12 Apr 2007, 23:26 • #3 
Sport
It really looks to me like a Cortland CR-2000, wonder if it was the same maker for both?

Post 13 Apr 2007, 04:38 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have been viewing this site for some time and this post has encouraged me to come "in from the cold" and register to tell what I know about Spaulding fiberglass rods. I own a sweet 6'6" 6wt. model that I purchased new from Joe Kavitsky at his Elm Sporting Goods shop in Westfield Massachusetts. It was sometime around 1967 or '68.

I remember Joe special ordered it; Joe sold a number of spaulding rods in various sizes. When I went down to pick up the rod, I briefly met the builder. He was a young man in his late 20's or early 30's. I didn't get his name-I was a college freshman or sophomore and my head was full of my studies at the time. The maker's shop was in Rensselear, NY just outside of Albany, and he was trying to start a rod building business.

I don't know where the name Spaulding came from, it might have been his name. I do know it has no relation to the Spalding Company who made golf balls and clubs in Chicopee, Mass just a few miles east of Westfield.

The workmanship on Spaulding rods is incredible, I know build graphite rods part-time, and I have sold a few. But, I am still striving to match the quality of this rod.

John

Post 13 Apr 2007, 07:44 • #5 
Master Guide
Westfield! That's it ... you're gonna have to bring that Spauding Rod to the Deerfield this June so we can see it first hand. You're "in out of the cold" now - no excuses. :D
Lou
P.S. Bring Joe along, too.

Post 13 Apr 2007, 09:24 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I'll be there, and I will bring my spaulding rod, although it is a little small for the Deerfield-I know this from experience--a real fish story there.

Alas, Joe Kavitsky has passed on and now fishes "around the bend" but I am sure his spirit will be there!

John

Post 14 Apr 2007, 07:39 • #7 
John
Glad you came on board, I joined the forum just to post and gain info on this rod sometime ago. I too was out in the cold gleaming knowledge. Thanks for the inside info.
Robert

New Topic Add Reply