It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 06:53

New Topic Add Reply
Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 03 May 2007, 11:52 • #1 
Master Guide
First I want to thank the people who responded to my post in the tinkering forum AND all the people who have posted their Lamiglas builds. Without them this rod would have never been built.
Pac Bay DL5 reel seat with cocobola insert, cigar cork, H&H guides and chestnut thread with no cp. All the wraps have candy apple red inlays. The inlays can't be seen unless the sun hits them and then they "pop" and I think "huh that's interesting". Two coats of FC lite used for the finish.

I took the rod out on the lawn and cast an old wf 4 line I had lying around. Slow. Wonderfully slow. After a few cast I was reminded of fishing my fathers glass rod on my uncles farm ponds when I was a kid :D I ordered a dt 4 yesterday and believe she will cast even finer with the dt.

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 03 May 2007, 16:32 • #2 
Master Guide
In a word ... beautiful. :eek

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 04 May 2007, 09:17 • #3 
Master Guide
Very nice build Gypsy! That rod is a sweetheart ain't it. What is that first pic, a test wrap under the seat? Anyhow, beautiful rod.

The DL5 and cigar grip are super sweet and it looks like your finish work is top notch.

Lou :hat

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 04 May 2007, 10:17 • #4 
Sport
Lou,you need to read Gypsy's post in rod building - then you can really appreciate the excellent job he did to make this rod work! I agree - it's a sweet rod and I hope you keep it bent often -- nice job!

Mark

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 04 May 2007, 11:15 • #5 
Master Guide
Now I see. I actually posted on the original thread, but didn't realize this was the same rod. Great save!

Lou

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 04 May 2007, 13:30 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
great job. you just expanded your rod building skill set to a new level.

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 07 May 2007, 05:07 • #7 
Master Guide
Mark, Lou can you recommend a good supplier of the Lami blanks? Thanks.

Tim

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 07 May 2007, 05:34 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
i'm not mark or lou but anglers workshop is where i have been getting mine. i think their store is right across the streat from lamiglas.

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 07 May 2007, 07:53 • #9 
Master Guide
Ditto, I got mine from Anglers Workshop.

Lou

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 07 May 2007, 15:50 • #10 
Master Guide
Yup, Anglers Workshop. When I lived in Portland Oregon I bought most of my fly tying and rod building stuff there and now that I'm living in the "other" Portland I continue to buy gear from them. Lamiglas is right next door to Anglers and G. Loomis is in the same town8). Woodland WA is a small town and hardly the place you'd expect to find such big names in the fly fishing business but it's right in the heart of some prime steelhead rivers so I guess that makes sense.

By the way I wasn't happy with the wrap colors or butt section on the Lami so I have re-wrapped the guides in gold thread w/ no cp and re did the butt/signature section. I put on the last coat of FC tonight and she's spinning on the dryer as I type this :D. I'll try to get pics up in a couple of days.

The H&H dt 4wt line came with the mail today and I loaded up a Battenkill BBS lll with it and about 95 yards of #20 backing; checked the balance and it's pretty close to perfect. With no line strung through the guides the balance point is about 1" back from my index finger position on the cork.. With line in the guides it balances right at my fore finger. Pond fishing for brook trout is getting pretty hot right now and I can't wait to take the Lami out for her first trip and a brookie or two.

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 08 May 2007, 03:29 • #11 
Master Guide
Really cool, I'll contact Anglers Workshop. Thanks.

Tim

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 09 May 2007, 02:57 • #12 
Master Guide
Here is the "re-build". First time I've done feather inlays and although the design isn't great I'm pleased with how they turned out:D

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 09 May 2007, 05:05 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
gypsy, i really like that gold and the feather inlay is very nice.

what gold is that? gudebrod 340? or is it silk?

i have a 6'6" 6 piece that i did in brown and black classic twist and i don't like all that busy brown. i am thinking about redoing just the guide wraps in that gold and leaving the ferrule wraps classic twist. a little like my axisco rods. or maybe i will use a lighter gold.

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 09 May 2007, 08:48 • #14 
Master Guide
Nice Gypsy! I also like that gold allot and if it is gudebrod gold nylon, it's the same I used on my Fenglass 605. I really love that thread color on brown, green, and now honey colored blanks! It really looks great on that blank and I like it with the red tipping. NICE!

Lou :hat

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 09 May 2007, 11:24 • #15 
Master Guide
The wraps are done with 340 gold and the trim bands w/ chestnut 5274. The pics aren't great but, as you can see, the gold thread becomes quite transparent, almost melting into the blank.

The trim bands are 4 turns and at the ferrule wrap (you can barely see it) there is a one turn trim band done w/ metallic copper thread and CA glue.

I wish I could give a casting report that involved water and fish but I can't so a trip to the local soccer field was where I made a few cast with the new H&H dt line and the rod did fine. She's definitely not made for shooting line or carrying a lot of line in the air but I knew that already and mostly worked in the 25-40 ft casting range. Honestly I've been casting graphite for so long and this Lami is so slow that my first attempts were sloppy at best and pitiful at worst. Casting slower and easier helped things out and after awhile the line went where I wanted it do and turned over a #14 red quill dry with ease.:D I couldn't roll cast on grass to save my life so I'll have to wait until my next fishing trip to do a report on that.

Thanks for the replies

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 09 May 2007, 14:45 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
you are not the only one who can.t roll cast on grass.

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 09 May 2007, 16:55 • #17 
Master Guide
Very Nice! I like the look of the rebuild. It's definately "cleaner" and looks to me to be much less busy and flashy - more sedate and classy.

Questions:
How does the color of the thread you used for your wraps compare to "goldenrod?" I'm planning on building up a Lamiglass honey colored blank this summer and want that ghosting effect - the subtle color over the guidefoot without lots of contrasting color to "busy up" the rod. I think you've achieved much of what I am after.

How did you finish the wraps? No CP? Thin coat of FC?

Why not trim wraps on all the guides including the stripper? I like the thin 4 strand trim. And the inlay on the ferrule wrap is nice too.

I'd say overall the effect is much nicer. Its much more inline with what I want to do.

Very nice looking.

One request ... I know its hard, but a picture of the whole rod to get the full effect of the matching color wraps would be great.

Thanks - you and Loudog have given me something to strive for.

David

Lamiglas 7'6" 4wt
Post 10 May 2007, 14:14 • #18 
Master Guide
Hey David thanks for the kind remarks. The wraps are gold w/no cp. I apply flexcoat lite on the wraps and then wipe off as much as I can with a dry brush. Second coat is thin however I don't wipe it off. Very similar to loudog's finish technique but I believe he wipes the second coat off also. Others here get some spectacular results with urethane and varnish and when my rod building skills get better I'd like to give those adhesives a try.

I agree trim bands on the tip section would look very appealing but with the Lami having a much slower feel than I'm used to I didn't want to add any unnecessary weight up top. Probably wouldn't have made any difference but I figured better safe than sorry.

Goldenrod with no cp would probably look really good on the Lami blank although I've never used it so I can't say for sure. Honestly I think GudeBrod color #'s 200, 221, 290, 602, 705, and 541 all w/ no cp have great possibilities. Id highly recommend doing something like this
p097.ezboard.com/ffibergl ... =199.topic
to get a good idea of how the colors look with finish on them. Silk threads would probably be the prettiest of all but I spend waaaay too much time agonizing over nylon; I'm not sure if I could handle yet another 5-10 colors that would look great on a blank.

Wish I could show pics of the whole rod but you're right, it's hard to do. I tried a pic with the rod laying on the grass but there was too much glare to show the colors. Pics of the rods leaning against a tree, in the shade, weren't any better.

Good luck with your upcoming project and be sure to post pics. If you haven't already check out the Lami builds posted here. There are a bunch of really good builds by some very talented rod makers.

Mark

New Topic Add Reply