It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 15:12

New Topic Add Reply
Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 02 Jun 2007, 09:39 • #1 
Master Guide
Here's a photo of my H&I 7'6" 6wt. I've posted it with my Ocean City #30 loaded with a 7wt floater that I cut the tip back to fling the bass flies a little easier.

My question ... does anyone know what type of washer I could use under the spindle screw. When I picked this reel up it didn't have anything underneath so I cut a piece of cardboard for a temp. It works, but I prefer to find a suitable replacement.

Edit: Sorry guys for the large photos, I'm still figuring this photo thing out ...

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 03 Jun 2007, 02:51 • #2 
Looks good Scott!

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 03 Jun 2007, 13:30 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Ditto, pics look good. If the hardware store doesn't have the washers you want, try a place that provides appliance parts. Washing machines, freezers, and especially refrigerators utilize a lot of thin washers on the doors. It'd be nice if you could find a nylon washer that wouldn't harm the metal on your reel.

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 03 Jun 2007, 15:13 • #4 
Administrator
To get smaller photos, use the software on your computer to resize the photo to 750-800 horizontal pixels or less. Save the smaller photo with a new name and send the smaller version to PhotoBucket. The result will fit on most computer screens.

I would cut a washer from the plastic top of a coffee can. The plastic won't hurt the reel and the price is right!

Tom

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 04 Jun 2007, 02:49 • #5 
Piscator
if you're trying to take up end-play on the spool, I have some Young spring thrust washers in transit from the UK.

Good looking rod - I think we were all watching that one.
I'd bet money its a South Bend blank.

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 04 Jun 2007, 11:47 • #6 
Master Guide
How would you be able to tell, or is it common knowledge that SB made blanks for other companies? The only inscription on the rod itself is the 4 digit number.
I must admit ... it isn't a fancy rod, but it is my go to rod, I'm just not feeling the reel all that much. I might see about getting a different reel and possibly some DT6 line and see how it performs.

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 06 Jun 2007, 09:41 • #7 
Sport
Bulldog is right you are probably missing the coil spring. My OC #35 looks a lot like your #30 and it does not have or call for a washer but does have a coil spring that takes up play in the spool. Ocean City referrers to it as the Drag Coil Spring.

Great reels.

Cyrus

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 06 Jun 2007, 11:24 • #8 
Master Guide
I understand what your saying, but my OC #30 wasn't even made with a drag.

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 06 Jun 2007, 12:06 • #9 
Sport
I know what you mean, except for the spring and it is not adjustable my reel has no real drag of the type one would expect to find on a reel that has a drag. So I think the label they put on the spring is misleading.

Cyrus

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 06 Jun 2007, 12:14 • #10 
Piscator
harleydeen, it reminds me so much of this SB, length, surface texture, and it looks like a painted clear epoxy rod.

I rebuilt this rod and removed the reel seat. The clear through section of the blank looked like rock candy.

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 07 Jun 2007, 11:23 • #11 
Master Guide
cool that's amazing how close these two rods look very similiar ... if you don't mind me asking, what reel (or weight) so you use to balance that rod with?

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 07 Jun 2007, 11:38 • #12 
Piscator
My South Bend balances a 3-1/4" to 3-1/2" Beaudex quite well. The style of the reel seat on my SB rod, the knurled nut is also the front pocket, likes the square-ended foot of the early 50s reels. I usually fish the green Condex on this rod, because the reel color looks great against the copper-painted blank.
The seat on your H-I with the sliding front pocket should take just about any reel foot

I'll try to remember to get some photos of my SB rebuild up - it's striking in its new threads.

Horrocks & Ibbotson
Post 07 Jun 2007, 13:59 • #13 
Master Guide
Right on ... thanks Bulldog

New Topic Add Reply