It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:43

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Jun 2007, 13:12 • #1 
Guide
Well I bit the bullet as well. I recently lost my favorite red-breast rod and I needed something to replace it. This is the 7'9" #2/#3. On to the pictures ...

This rod will do exactly what I need. I will be using this rod on smaller streams (less wind) where 50 foot casts are normal. This rod definitely has the punch needed, but it comes deep in the butt section. You really can't bully this rod around, I found that a gentle cast will get most jobs done.

The only issue I have with the rod is the rather small grip (roughly 4.5 inches). I do prefer a bit of a longer grip, but for how this rod casts it doesn't bother me one bit.

If you would like different pics, just ask.

Post 26 Jun 2007, 13:22 • #2 
Piscator
a real jewel - good move.
thanks for the photos.

Post 26 Jun 2007, 13:24 • #3 
Master Guide
... NICE! ...
Bob

Post 26 Jun 2007, 13:29 • #4 
Guide
Only one slight problem with this rod. I have a L.W. Holmes reel that looks PERFECT on this rod. The only issue is that it doesn't quite fit the reel seat. It is prone to falling off while I am stripping line off the reel. Guess I have to find another 3 inch reel ... suggestions?

Post 26 Jun 2007, 13:31 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Great looking rod! Need more pictures ... please!:)

Post 26 Jun 2007, 13:40 • #6 
Master Guide
Very nice rod! Where did you get it from, and what was the cost?

Post 26 Jun 2007, 13:56 • #7 
Guide
More pictures to follow tomorrow (after the marathon tying session for the keys!)

I got the rod from Hitoshi (japanflyfisher) from here on the board. It was "used" from Hithoshi himself, I believe and it was $224 US after shipping.

Post 26 Jun 2007, 16:28 • #8 
Sport
Hi Tricky
How about the feeling of Rod?
I matched Hardy Featherweight, Pflueger Medalist 1492 with this rod.

Post 27 Jun 2007, 00:29 • #9 
Piscator
Reel Suggestion

Post 27 Jun 2007, 01:00 • #10 
Guide
T,

I love the looks of that rod with the exception of the cork grip. Put a flor quality modified wells on it and I'll buy one too. I wonder if blanks are available? Lanny you reading this?*G*.

Rich

Post 27 Jun 2007, 01:46 • #11 
Master Guide
I have the same reel issue with a Martin on my Fenglass 605. It has a black reel foot, so a wrap or 2 of electrical tape did the trick for me.

If it has a chrome foot, maybe some duct tape on the foot would not be as noticeable. Just wind it real snug and it will conform to the foot.

Lou

Post 27 Jun 2007, 02:54 • #12 
Piscator
I have found a very good reel foot shim is Moleskin.
Cut a patch and sticky it just along the contact face of the foot.

Post 27 Jun 2007, 11:38 • #13 
Sport
It is recommended me
www.tiemco.jp/index.php/m ... y&code=768

Post 27 Jun 2007, 15:01 • #14 
Master Guide
Nice.

I like the "ghost wrapping" on the guides and the light colored wood (maple?) reel seat.

David

Post 07 Jul 2007, 05:18 • #15 
Guide
Well this post is incredibly bittersweet for me to make. This week I was supposed to be going to the keys for bonefish and tarpon, yet the car rental company really got me good so I had to scrap that the day I was planning on leaving. So I decided to head back to Augusta and give the Norie a good test drive. The line for both tests was a DT 3 wt. Rio selective trout (great line by the way). The reel was a 3 inch L.W. Holmes.
Day 1- Small creek.
I spent two hours fishing a very small creek which was no bigger than 10 feet at its widest point. I was casting a #14 tan EHC with a 7.5' leader. The longest casts made today were 25 feet. This rod was truely effortless. I think this is probably said about alot of rods, but of all the rods I have ever cast this one really seemed to do all the work itself. The roll casting was absolutely wonderful and I was really glad that I got the 7'9". You can really feel this rod load all the way into the handle when casting yet the tip is still pretty sensitive.

I landed well over 30 small redbreasts (between 3 inches and 7 inches) but this rod handled everything thrown at it. The surprise of the day came in the form of a 12 inch native redeye bass which was incredibly fiesty and a real joy to catch on this rod. Overall I am thrilled how this rod fished in this situation.

Day 2- The Savannah River
The second day I was really intrigued how this rod would handle the big water. I wanted to see just how far I could push the casts, how big was too big for poppers, and how much did the wind hurt the casting. A buddy of mine and I took out the kayaks and set out for some beautiful shoals directly below a dam just a bit north of Augusta. I know there are lots of big redbreasts, bluegills, and redeyes and some big winds to contend with. This part of the savannah is roughly 500 yards wide and completely open so there is always a good wind. Today was a bit of an exception with no sustained winds just pretty good gusts. The fly of choice was a size 10 Accardo bluegill popper. I was using a 9 foot 3x leader with the same DT3 line. I started in the shallow sheltered parts of the river and started fishing. This rod is NOT a rod you can bully into casting farther than it is supposed to. I was surprised though once I figured out what the rod wanted I had little difficulty casting 45 feet, and could reach a bit farther if need be.

I moved up into some faster moving water and caught some nice readbreasts (8-11 inches) and this rod really worked well to bring them in. I am not sure I would want to catch a 3 lb bass on this rod. Actually ... I am positive I wouldn't. Many nice sunfish and a handful of nice redeyes (not exceeding 13 inches) were brought to hand. This rod was the perfect tool for this fishing. The wind did cause some concern, but you just have to open your loops in the direction the wind is blowing and you'll be fine.

I moved up into a small pool where my friend was trying to catch some longnose and spotted gar. He actually hooked and played two nice size fish (roughly 2.5 feet long) so I thought I would give it a whirl. I put on a size ten clouser and cast away. I was actually surprised how well I could cast this fly and the distance was slightly better with this fly than the popper. Just open those loops! In the end ... one was hooked and once it noticed he was gone ... with my fly. Great bit of excitement.

So overall feeling of this rod over the two days was it is an exceptional tool for smaller fish. I can imagine that it will be my go to rod for those small wild and native trout found in north GA. I love it for small/medium creek fishing for redbreast, and it will also be brought along when bass fishing slows down on the rivers. This is not a rod you can force into casting, you have to slow down drastically and smooth out your cast. Great casting rod.

Now the bittersweet part of this post. I had pictures of all the water fished and lots of the rod with the fish caught on my digital camera. The third day we went out, the buddy took a lady friend and asked to borrow the camera to take pictures of her. Well ... the girl came back with us but the camera didn't make it away from the river. But at least the buddy did say he was going to replace the camera. As soon as I can I will post more pictures. I hope this wasn't too long and detailed.

Post 07 Jul 2007, 05:33 • #16 
Administrator
Tricky ... you live in Augusta, GA? I am just down the 20 at exit 44 in SC. We should get together for a "Dirty South Glass Clave". I'd really like to see that Norie in person. I am very interested in one of those rods. I've got access to a great pond this way ... and I'd love to see some GA water. Message me if you are interested.

Post 07 Jul 2007, 05:44 • #17 
Guide
Cameron- At this time I actually live in Savannah but the family is all in Augusta so I make my way up there often. I think it would be great to get together and do some fishing. I'll be back up in Augusta the weekend of the 21st so maybe we can get together. If not I'll be moving back to Augusta mid august.

Post 07 Jul 2007, 05:55 • #18 
Administrator
Great. Maybe the weekend of the 21st can work.

Post 07 Jul 2007, 11:16 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Hey

Dirty south clave?! ... that's great idea ... how about let's meet up in the northern GA in this fall? Several members are nearby that area as well ... Creationbear (Jon) and Upstream?

Post 07 Jul 2007, 11:30 • #20 
Guide
Yuhina ... I'm actually gonna try and get up there in late August. I really am tempted though to try northern alabama for some stream smallies. Interested?

Post 07 Jul 2007, 13:18 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Tricky,

Definitely ... It sounds a good plan! Either N. AL or N. GA work for me ... I never fish for smallies but heard there are some good waters in N.AL. Instead, I fished smithgall woods near blue ridge mountain area in the frequency of every couple monthes ... It was a very nice trout stream and I really like it ... :D looking forward to do it again ...

Post 07 Jul 2007, 13:28 • #22 
Administrator
Not to hijack this thread but a "Dirty South Clave" in the fall? Sounds GREAT to me! I don't have a lot of free weekends (family time, work, etc.) but I know right now that I'll have a weekend in October (the wife and child will be away to Gatlingburg on a family trip. I can't do that place anymore). I should know the dates pretty soon. Lets get this done.

How many people would be interested in a Southeast Clave?

Post 07 Jul 2007, 14:07 • #23 
Sport
Hi

My friend sells 7.9ft-2pcs/#3,#4Line (Used condition) $240
The reel seat processes it by Norie.
I think that all reels match a reel seat.
There is not the rod tube, but there are the socks.

If interested, Please send PM.
Hitoshi(jtff)

Post 09 Jul 2007, 07:32 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
I think a SE clave would be great. Just got a word that time may fill up a bit from work, but will try to work out whatever I can.

Bob

New Topic Add Reply