It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:22

New Topic Add Reply
Lami 8' 5wt
Post 11 Jul 2007, 08:26 • #1 
Master Guide
With the really hot weather we had last week, I figured it was a good time to finish another glass rod. I haven't had a time to test it on the water yet, but I'll do that hopefully in a couple of days.

The two piece Lami 8' 5wt is a pretty soft rod, but should work fine for spring creeks around here. I used single foot guides, H&H stripper, NS check, and Damon seat with curly walnut insert. The wraps are transparent tan, with rust and chestnut accents.

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 11 Jul 2007, 09:36 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
BRAVISIMO! those transparent wraps are superb. absolutley gorgeous.

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 11 Jul 2007, 09:58 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful. Hope it performs as you wish. My 7'6" does.

Bob

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 11 Jul 2007, 10:03 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
What a beautiful rod! ... your pictures woke me up from the afternoon doze ... great work! I love these transparent wrap as well ... I just got my silk white thread today ... :)

Mark

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 11 Jul 2007, 15:06 • #5 
Master Guide
Very nice!

I love the transparent "ghost wrap."

What thread color was that and it was applied with no CP obviously ... right?

What finish did you use? And what snakes are those?

David

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 11 Jul 2007, 15:10 • #6 
Master Guide
I am speechless, that is absolutely beautiful! Excellent work!

Lou :hat

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 11 Jul 2007, 17:02 • #7 
Sport
Musicar:
You did a wonderful job on your Lami. The rod is stunning. Tan is my favorite wrap color is for the honey Lami blanks. I love the way it disappears into the blank. Great choice of accent wraps. The very high level of rod building talent from this board is mind boggling.

Lanny

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 12 Jul 2007, 06:17 • #8 
Master Guide
Thanks gentlemen-especially Larry, Lou and Lanny, you guys are fantastic builders yourselves.

I used Pac Bay SF guides and tiptop in Ti finish and H&H stripper (also in Ti finish, which is a close match in color.) The finish is Threadmaster. I just bought it, since I was out of Duragloss, and I must say it is a wonderful product. Easy to work with, fast curing, incredibly clear and I liked it so much I just got a Lite version.

I've been using 7' 3wt and especially 7.5' 4wt Lamis as my main rods for the past two seasons, and can't wait to try the 8-footer.

Regards,
Vlad

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 12 Jul 2007, 07:55 • #9 
Master Guide
Hey Vlad, I've heard nothing but great things about threadmaster and will have to try the lite version myself. Be sure to post a report on how the rod fishes. Again, stunning work!

Lou

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 12 Jul 2007, 09:07 • #10 
Piscator
al dente

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 12 Jul 2007, 11:27 • #11 
Master Guide
absolutely beautiful! the wraps, grip, epoxy work all look outstanding. Congratulations on a very fine build. I've never heard of a Damon reel seat but it looks very nice. Nice penmanship too.

I'm looking forward to hearing reports on how the threadmaster lite is. I've got a lot of FC lite on hand and I like it just fine but if the tm lite starts getting rave reviews I might give it a try.

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 14 Jul 2007, 06:38 • #12 
Master Guide
Thanks guys-I went to the local spring creek yesterday, to try the new rod. Its been a pretty windy year around here and the 5wt rod was a good choice. I usually fish 7 6 4wt or 7 3wt Lamis on this stream, but the 8-footer performed admirably. It felt comfortable and fairly precise in close. The casting stroke needs to be relaxed and the smooth loop would follow-I used a WF5. What surprised me the most was the power this rod has in comparison with his shorter brothers. Just for the fun, I shot some longer casts in the shallows, into the archways of the slab bridge. With the haul, the rod was able to produce pointy loops into the wind. I closely observed the loop shapes The rod is capable of producing nice loops without little wave-like formations in the bottom leg of the loop. They are fairly common on most fiberglass rods, since the tip-wobble is so typical for glass. This would be a nice rod to fish in lower sections of some trout streams around here, where you can expect a mixed bag of trout and smallmouth bass.

I managed to hook six browns, and landed five of them. There was no hatch going on and the fish would not take beetles nor ants, but went for soft hackles fished on the greased line and CDC Loopwing Caddis Emergers. Below is a picture of the first brownie caught on the rod. The rod handled 6X and 7X tippets with absolutely no problem. The little extra length proved really handy in turning trout when they would rush into the thick weeds. I am really glad I finished the rod just in time for some hopper action in August and September.

Regards,
Vlad

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 14 Jul 2007, 10:39 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
What a brown! Nice fish with nice rod ... Vlad

I especially interested in these dark browns ... Did you get them in a spring fed creek (with lot's of scud?) ... looking forward to see more pictures :D

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 14 Jul 2007, 12:40 • #14 
Master Guide
THAT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! ... :eek. ..Nicest wrap job I've seen in a while ... great choices of clear and color! ...
Bob

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 14 Jul 2007, 12:57 • #15 
Master Guide
Thanks guys! Yuhina, I agree that unusually dark browns are interesting. For instance, I noticed that they are more common in certain spring creeks, especially the ones with overhead canopy of trees and lots of aquatic vegetation. However, the darkest brown I ever caught came from the little open-meadow spring creek in Wisconsin. That fish was so dark, almost charcoal looking with barely visible dots. Actually it looked like you put tar over the fish-its coloration reminded me of coloration of some ocean bottom fish. Very unusual indeed.

Regards,
Vlad

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 16 Jul 2007, 14:13 • #16 
Sport
Vlad:
The rod looks sweet in action. We have a stream here in California's eastern Sierra that is very narrow and tree covered with a very dark bottom. All the browns from it look like your brown, a dark chocolate brown. The grip on your rod, is it from Golden Witch and if so how is the quality?

Thanks,
Lanny

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 16 Jul 2007, 14:21 • #17 
Guide
That is simply a beautifully finished rod.

enjoy.

Rich

Lami 8' 5wt
Post 16 Jul 2007, 15:10 • #18 
Master Guide
Thanks Rich ... !

Lanny,

Yes, the grip is from Golden Witch. I used several of their grips so far, but I must say that the quality, while it is OK for the price, is nothing to write home about. The grips I bought from them last year were of slightly better quality cork. On the other hand, the shape of this half-wells is excellent (I used it on some other rods) and very comfortable. I also like their cigar grip-it might be little large for some people's taste, but I tend to prefer little wider grips.

Home-turned grips are still the best bet (money vs. quality), imho.

New Topic Add Reply