It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 01:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Jul 2007, 13:10 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I just finished this rod. Very excited about this two handed small rod for stripers.
About several weeks ago, I lost a chance to got a very nice browning bass rod. Russell (a member here) told me there is some blank very nice, maybe be I want it to build a bass rod. So I got it ... It is a HUGE blank 9wt with a huge butt (about 0.6 inches) I am not sure if I can cast it with a single hand style. So I decided to go for the two handers. It turns out so great ... with spey cast, a very tight loop with 6 wt, and become tranditional spey action with 6wt spey line.
I will do more field test this week ...
The snake guides were TiCH guides and the stripper guides were from Golden witch metal strippers. I wrapped with write silk for under wrap and put the oliver and garnet threads (with 2 coats of U-40 color lock2) on top for decal. It looks like browning Silaflex style that I really like it. The reel seat was directly use the blank covered by thick epoxy and sand it a litte bit. Thanks Russell and friends here teach me how to use color preserver ...

Post 20 Jul 2007, 13:34 • #2 
Piscator
excellent work!

Post 20 Jul 2007, 13:47 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
wow. talk about a natural. you did a great job. what a fantastic design. not just for the configuration of hte wraps but also the idea behind the rod.

i think you may want to try a much heavier line though. perhaps a long belly spey line in a 10 wt or maybe even heavier.

Post 20 Jul 2007, 14:05 • #4 
Master Guide
Mark, I really like the way that turned out. I think I might need to follow your idea with the blank I picked up. Let me know some final spey and overhead evaluations. Great work on the rod, I wish I was getting some rods done.
I think there was one more of those blanks left at anglers workshop for $29 if someone else is interested.

-Russell

Post 20 Jul 2007, 14:34 • #5 
Master Guide
That is absolutely gorgeous and the wraps are outa this world man :hat. If you don't mind me asking, how much prep work did the Tich guides need? The blank looks like it would be a good candidate for steelhead and salmon fishing also.

It looks like the tip is spiral wrapped also, if so I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been.

Again beautiful job on the rod it looks great.

Post 20 Jul 2007, 15:30 • #6 
Sport
Yuhina:
You did a wonderful job, that rod looks great.

Lanny

Post 20 Jul 2007, 15:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks friends for the nice words :D
I really gather all the ideas from you guys here ... thanks for teach me do the ghost wrap and color preserver things ...

gypsy, the Tich comes in nicely, actually I did not prepare them at all, I just direct wrap them to the blank ... origially I did not do a good job to the ghost wrap ... so you still can see the uneven milky white underneath. But after I use the spiral wraps, they turns out nicer ... and it is not hard to do (I think the A size Nylon is much easier to wrap than the fine silk one)
Russell,
This is greatest value and nicest blank I have so far ... I really love the deep amber color and thick blank on hand ... thanks again for your generous info!:D I name the rod ... amber yamame ... Larry ... I will try some heavier line tomorrow ... for the bigger water ...

Post 20 Jul 2007, 15:43 • #8 
Administrator
Very cool and creative! Clear underwraps with the thin spirals on top. It looks like the guide doesn't have enough thread to hold it securely! That is really nice.

I never thought about using a 9x9 rod with two hands. I just received this Fenwick FF909 from eBay . It has a separate fighting butt that fits very snuggly up into the reel seat. I'll have to try it with a two handed style.

Tom

Post 20 Jul 2007, 17:28 • #9 
Master Guide
WOW ... :eek

Awesome job! That's an eye catcher for sure ... very very nice.

David

Post 21 Jul 2007, 00:25 • #10 
Master Guide
Yuhina, great work! I look forward to seeing your next rod; trust me, there will be a next rod!

I am not sure how you did the reel seat, is there a spacer between the hardware, or is the blank the spacer? Can you post a photo of the seat? Either way, it looks awesome.

Lou :hat

Post 21 Jul 2007, 01:38 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
again, i'm just blown away by this rod. i really like the look of those golden witch strippers. i have two on order right now. they are a very good buy.

Post 21 Jul 2007, 03:24 • #12 
Master Guide
Nice rod.

The TICH strippers can be ordered from many supply houses. I used to use Golden Witch for many items on my bamboo rods. I do not use them anymore for their shipping and handling charges are out of line IMHO. Russ's prices are on the high side as well for many of his products, and I'm not talking about their in shop developed products.

I can suggest other suppliers if you need a list.

Post 21 Jul 2007, 04:06 • #13 
Yuhina, you did a beautiful job wrapping that rod! The funny thing is I built that blank in a similar way when I lived in Florida. In my case I extended the blank 5.5 " with a piece of solid fiberglass to help balance the rod. I have played with spey casting this rod but I am terrible. My DH is not great either. A long glass rod set up for two handed casting is a natural for some one like me.

My rod has some tip bounce cast single handed if you swing it hard. Tip bounce is all most completely eliminated casting two handed. Pics to follow. John

Post 21 Jul 2007, 06:26 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks friends ...
Just got back from a morning fishing ... my favorite shoral bass river-Tallapoosa
I have to agree Lamiglas make pretty good blank, this rod cast pretty good I use 7wt sinking line today for deeper water ... use spey shake the line up and roll cast with ease. I would say this is a very sweet two handers, optimal cast distance maybe in 50-70 range ... super light among the two handers. I did try some single hand cast ... no problem ...
John ... looking forward your pictures! ...
Lou, I just put the skeleton between the cork and use some white thread to reinforce the blank also help the skeleton in the right position. Then I coat one layer of Epoxy, after one day, coat another layer to increase the texture and sand them to desire feel. It is pretty strong, I think. attached the picture and also included a picture that I tried to inlay a mosquito ... : )

Post 21 Jul 2007, 06:35 • #15 
Administrator
Yuhina ... with your rod building ... your photography ... your posts ... without a doubt ... you bring "mad skillz" to this website.

Very impressive work, indeed.

Post 21 Jul 2007, 07:29 • #16 
Master Guide
Mark, I missed that you had used the blank as the reel seat in your first post. I have not seen that done on a fly rod. Refreshing creativity. Once again, I think I might have to copy some of your ideas. Great rod.
Russell

Post 21 Jul 2007, 23:19 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Russell,

I am really looking forward to see your new rod! : )
It would be a huge honorto me, if you use some of my idea : ) ... for instance the mosquito inlay ... actually the mosquito has my blood in his belly :lol. ...
Sincerely,
Mark

Post 22 Jul 2007, 08:18 • #18 
Master Guide
Nice job Mark!

New Topic Add Reply