It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 03:35

New Topic Add Reply
Post 05 Aug 2007, 14:26 • #1 
Sport
I like trying to locate and buy a glass rod for close to what it sold for in its day. Pictures of my latest, a 7' Shakespeare Wonderod Pesidential FY 920. It weighs a nicely balanced 3.5 oz an I suspect it takes a DT5. Clean cork handle and spacer, Flexes smoothly into butt. I think this may be a keeper. This is my first Shakespeare as I have pretty much stuck to Phillipsons and newer makers. This rod shows very little sign of use, built Jan. 1966 (Thanks to Gaddis handy chart).

Upate-Took it for a spin with a DT5, not enough. WF5 much better.

I also recently picked up a Orvis Golden Eagle 8'6" 4 1/8 oz 9wt that I am excited to use for steelhead, salt, and muskies. Will post pics soon.

Post 05 Aug 2007, 16:03 • #2 
Guide
I have several, two 8-footers and two 7'9" rods. The one pictured here has not had a line on it yet. The reel seat looks untouched! All my other Wonderods take at least a WF-7. A little disappointing as I was hoping for a little lighter line rod but these will be great on Montana and Idaho rivers of some size. Not small stream rods. I will be interested to hear how this one works out for you. I like the cork reel seat. Nice.

Tom

Post 06 Aug 2007, 02:52 • #3 
Sport
Tom
Yes I was excited to find this 7' Wonderod as most are 7'9" and a 6/7 weight as you say. I think 7' Wonderods are somewhat rare but then again I do know know as much about them and any info is appreciated. I got this rod via one of the grand pubas of cane rod building, probably as a trade in many years ago at which point it sat in a closet.
HC

Post 06 Aug 2007, 14:12 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I've got one of these and have tried both WF5 and WF6 lines on it. I preferred the WF6. This rod appeared in the 1966 through 1968 catalogs. In the earlier two catalogs, the recommended line weights were HDH and 2LM. These translate to DT6 and WF6, respectively, per the translation chart they include in the catalogs. However, when they switched to the AFTMA system in 1968, they called it a 5.

New Topic Add Reply