It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:29

New Topic Add Reply
Post 20 Oct 2007, 07:12 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Mike McFarland built a beautiful rod for me based on a PHY Driggs. It's a 7'0" 5-weight in 3-piece configuration with all the deluxe trimmings. It's a great fishing tool for the small fast streams I fish in WA State in summer. You can see photos here: www.washingtonflyfishing ... puser=5491

(moderator, feel free to post on this site too if you'd like)

Post 20 Oct 2007, 10:43 • #2 
Master Guide
Very nice! Any chance we could get a detailed fishing report from you? I'd be very curious how "Driggs-y" glass can be.:) (And BTW, what reel is it sporting?)

Post 20 Oct 2007, 12:10 • #3 
Guide
Now thats my kind of rod on my kind of stream. Very nice.

Post 20 Oct 2007, 16:17 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I'll start by saying that I originally did intend to buy a bamboo rod to fish smaller west slope Cascades streams like the one pictured. The flow you see in these pictures is as low as that particular stream gets. More often, there's quite a bit of water channeled through such streams, so it's not usually "subtle" fishing. I wind up using a mix of dries and streamers, and casts are a mix of roll, side-arm, and other creative stuff into pockets of heavy water with complex currents. Most fish are 8-14" cutts and 'bows with an occasional 18" rainbow and even larger bull trout. Wimpy 3-weights don't cut it.

Anyway, I had planned to have Chris Carlin or AJ Thramer build a Driggs for me. But I have owned some nice cane and am afraid to fish it in such places. It's tough wading and falls are a guarantee. So I called Mike McFarland and he understood immediately what I wanted.

In short, it's a great rod and does exactly what I had hoped it would do. I'd say its roll casting is probably the best of any rod in that class I have ever fished. You just snap your wrist and the line goes where you point the rod. It's really easy roll casting. Overhand casting short and middle distances is great too, though range is limited to around 50' with the Cortland Sylk DT-5 I use. The rod casts small streamers well, though not surprisingly, swinging them in heavy current challenges the soft rod to stay in control. The tip just bows heavily in such situations.

The reel is a Marryat CMR 56 ... with one modification. I had Bill Archuletta machine a custom spool counter-weight. Strangely, the CMRs don't come stock with those, so when you rip line off, you really feel the wobble. Bill set me up for $15, and now it's just about as smooth as a Ross San Miguel. Marryats are, in my opinion, a real steal at around $100. Bill now stocks these counter-weights. I have a CMR 34 as well, with the same Archuletta modification. Great reels.

Post 20 Oct 2007, 17:25 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Lovely, indeed. My McFarland Spruce also sports a Marryat reel, a CMR3/4. You are right - they are a mighty fine reel for the money. That gold and even the bronze color looks great with the Spruce - elegant I think.

Post 21 Oct 2007, 15:23 • #6 
Master Guide
Nice, nice, real nice ...

Just curious, which glass rod did you use before you received this beauty?

NB

Post 21 Oct 2007, 15:32 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
The only two I've used before are a Scott F-601, which I use a 3-weight line with for the tiniest streams. I just sold my Steffen 8'0" 3/4. I just didn't need that configuration.

I do plan to add a 7-7.5 foot 2/3 weight glass rod next spring for some slightly different WA State streams that hold just very small fish and flow in gentler gradients. I'll look for a more progressive action like anothe Steffen or Scott since these streams have far more open casting room than the ones I use the McFarland on.

Post 21 Oct 2007, 23:57 • #8 
Master Guide
Thanks for elaborating on what is one of the nicest set-ups I've seen. (BTW, be careful posting pics of all that beautiful water ... there's a host of us drought-ridden Southerners who wouldn't mind pulling up stakes and doing the Joad thing until we reached the Promised Land.:lol )

Post 22 Oct 2007, 01:46 • #9 
Piscator
parabolic glass - certainly has my attention.

Post 22 Oct 2007, 02:08 • #10 
Administrator
My next custom built five weight will be a seven foot parabolic ... and of course will be a McFarland Spruce Creek ... but I've got a couple of other rods I want to add first.

Post 24 Oct 2007, 09:36 • #11 
Sport
I have always felt that a rod should be just as beautiful as the place you fish and the fish you catch. Perfect scene ~~ beautiful rod and beautiful stream. You made the right choice.

Post 26 Oct 2007, 00:50 • #12 
Master Guide
Do you have bill's contact info? I am in need of a Marryat counterweight.Thanks

[Here it is www.archuletasreelworks.com Bill is an easy guy to work with - Tom]

New Topic Add Reply