It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:51

New Topic Add Reply
Foul Hooked?
Post 17 May 2023, 16:41 • #1 
Sport
Not really sure what to title this post, or which forum to post it in, but it is too unusual for me to keep it to myself. Exhibit A below
So I'm trying to regain some sense of meaning after loosing my dry fly box to the river gods the other night and am just not finding my mojo with my usual flies (fishing for stocked trout on a local river). Not much is working and the guy next to me is reeling them in one after the other and just had a big one take off upstream and break his tippet off. I mildly inquired as to what he might be having luck with and he showed me a purple and black perdigon as a point and jig of some sort in line above. I said okay, thanks, I had something similar, and put on a pearlescent perdigon (second from left in photo) and a March Brown wet on a tag above. Instantly got a fish, first on the wet fly then another on the perdigon. A few minutes later the bizarre collaboration pictured above ensued. I hooked a large rainbow, about 16" and he held deep for a while until I could reel him in closer for a look and I see my sulpher wet fly on the tag (I had changed after a snag) and then I see my perdigon - and the fish is still two feet further in the water and I'm fighting him still! So I call the guy down the bank and say "hey I may have caught your fish that broke your line!" So he came over to assist me as I was sure the fish would break off since he wasn't hooked on either of the flies I was fishing. It was the most bizarre fishing tale I have ever partook of. My perdigon had hooked the eye of an almost exact same perdigon, color, size etc. except that perdigon was for sure not one of my ties, nor was the PT perdigon which was in the fishes mouth! The perdigon I hooked had a different body material (same color!) and a light ginger tail and I always use CDL for my perdigon tales and different style hook! So somehow I hooked this fish by hooking the eye of the other perdigon - none of which belonged to the gentleman downstream from me! None-the-less, my spirits were lifted. Fishing with my father's FF806 custom built rod and my c1975 1495 Medalist lined with Cortland Peach DT6 :)

Last edited by greenteal on 17 May 2023, 17:15, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Foul Hooked?
Post 17 May 2023, 16:46 • #2 
Guide
Wow! I feel safe to say you're not likely to do that again! Pretty fantastic...

Post 17 May 2023, 18:32 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I had a similar occurrence while bobber fishing with worms. (It's been know to happen when I camp with friends). There was a fish crusing the lake with something trailing from it's mouth. A bit later my bobber went down and I reeled in this nice rainbow that was hooked with a snelled hook/spinner, and my hook was in the loop of the snelled hook leader.

That's one to remember. And the fact that the gentleman that had hooked it earlier was still there to help you, makes this story priceless.

Post 31 May 2023, 17:05 • #4 
Sport
“Robin Hook”…. More unlikely than splitting the arrow in the bullseye. Well done.

Post 01 Jun 2023, 09:39 • #5 
Guide
Way to go! That's a lifetime story for sure!

Post 01 Jun 2023, 12:15 • #6 
Master Guide
That is the unluckiest fish in the world!!!!!!!!! What a story.

New Topic Add Reply