It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 04:38

New Topic Add Reply
Carp dry fly
Post 18 Mar 2023, 19:51 • #1 
Guide
Curious if I can get some input here. I want to tie up some “egg” like flies for carp. However I want them to float. I was thinking of using a material called Fritz or eggstacy probably in a couple natural colors and a pink. Has anyone ever tied something like this intended to be a dry fly so to speak. I was thinking of using a small intruder hook with the fritz and applying floatant. These carp at local ponds like to eat seeds or something off the surface. Big carp! Any insight on hooks and/or material appreciated.

Re: Carp dry fly
Post 18 Mar 2023, 23:03 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
#12 EHC is my go-to carp dry fly. Can't help you with floating eggs

Post 19 Mar 2023, 12:37 • #3 
Guide
Thanks for the tip; that fly makes sense.

Maybe I'll tie it in a size 8.

Post 19 Mar 2023, 14:12 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
My experince is they eat seed pods,from choke cherries and cotton wood seeds/pods.It is like a hatch on my local waters and some really big ones come shallow and just sip on these all day.In park ponds they eat bread cereal etc that kids feed the ducks and geese.I have one place with grass carp that are 50lbs plus easily.One public park pond in the city gave up a 72lb grass carp some years ago on bait.They killed that fish,pics in the paper etc.They are fun but you must have a high capacity reel as there is no stopping them on their intial run when they get really big.Any mulberry tree that is on a shoreline is also a prime spot when the berries drop but they do not float.I have had my best luck using the stranded choke cherry pods AS flies.I just thread them on a hook and cast them in a feeding lane.Have tried making imitations but they are wary and smart.Not technically fly fishing but there would be no other way to prent such a delicate bait.
EDIT,They are not seeds,those would be the actual cherries.These are the flowers that drop after blooming in clusters on stems,The carp love them.There are fly patterns for cottonwood seeds

Post 19 Mar 2023, 15:49 • #5 
Guide
thanks harsh. I found a pattern for a cottonwood fly.. I'll tie some up.

It's hard to resist casting to such big fish. not easy to catch though.

Post 19 Mar 2023, 23:58 • #6 
Guide
Mulberry fly has me intrigued:

http://madriveroutfitters.blogspot.com/ ... flies.html

Post 20 Mar 2023, 07:34 • #7 
Piscator
Mulberry fly works.
My best carp sight-fishing was in a cottonwood seed fall, big carp circling under the cottonwood trees.
The fly was a size 18 egg hook, waste white marabou, brown thread, fished 4" below an indicator.
Alamo, btw, means cottonwood.

Post 20 Mar 2023, 09:54 • #8 
Guide
I tie some yellow foam floating corn flies. One trick I also learned... add splitshot about 8" from the fly. The shot will rest on the bottom, and the fly will hover at eye level.

Post 21 Mar 2023, 19:45 • #9 
Sport
When in season, Mulberry trees along the banks of a creek / river can be a real hoot.
Last June a Buddy and myself caught carp until our arms ached. With several doubles.
We used purple spun deer hair.

Post 21 Mar 2023, 20:31 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for sharing Rudy.Nice berry/fly.I had no shots at crp last season.The season before an egg sucking leech i got some great hook ups but they were to much for my 6wt and click pawl reel.I could not turn them and had to end it twice as i was about at the end of my backing.They seem so docile especially the big grass carp until they realize they are hooked.I bet those really tug in that current.Purple deer hair is on my list now.

Post 22 Mar 2023, 11:28 • #11 
Guide
I follow this guide from Indiana on Instagram that specializes in fly fishing for carp (and huge stream smallmouth). He’s created a purple foam fly called Mojo Mulberry that he really does well with during the mulberry season:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeWPpB9uN1Q ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Post 22 Mar 2023, 14:35 • #12 
Guide
Thanks, I know of that guy as I think he works at a fly shop near me.

I'll have to pick his brain. I like that mulberry tied with foam strips; looks great.

New Topic Add Reply