It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:31

New Topic Add Reply
<()))>< Got Huns?
Post 23 Feb 2023, 15:06 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Any of you folks need fresh Hungarian Partridge skins? We have a flock of about a dozen hanging around our bird feeder each day. Check'em out. :)

Re: <()))>< Got Huns?
Post 23 Feb 2023, 15:22 • #2 
Master Guide
Thats great!

Put a lot of miles as an early teen thru frozen stubblefields lugging a single shot after school! Great memories and lots of flies were tied with those skins. Unfortunately at least 20 years have passed since I held one of those birds in my hands or in my tummy. Mom loved to slow simmer those breasts in cream of mushroom soup and over rice was a fond memory too. Hun population way down at moms place due to coyote overpopulation.

Post 23 Feb 2023, 15:46 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Great to see them.We still have a few quail here and there but pheasants are all but gone due to coyotes,hawks and farmers having no incentive to leave much cover if any.Any pheasant hunting is now on state preserves and private hunt clubs.All pen raised but the private places have much healthier birds.When i was a kid we did not have to go far outside the city and kick up lots of birds.You really did not even need a dog they were so numerous.Last pheasant i shot cleared a tree line before going down and landed dead in a Mc Donalds drive thru with a line of cars with families.Was pretty awkward retrieving that bird.That farm was sold that year and a pond we had stocked for years went with it.My friends pay 10 a bird for pheasants and 5 for quail and you can hunt thru March.Like fishing for stocked trout or catfish in a pay lake but they get to work their dogs at least.

Post 23 Feb 2023, 19:57 • #4 
Master Guide
Im seeing the same thing with pheasants in Eastern Washington. Thats one crazy McDonalds story. Thanks for sharing that!

Post 27 Feb 2023, 14:25 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
love that McDonalds pheasant story ;-)

over here in CO the planted pheasants are $25-35 per bird, minimum of 10. So it gets a bit expensive. The wild populations get smaller every year, between droughts and the irrigation ditches being replaced by underground pipes. One of my someday dreams is to go hunt the Dakotas or similar where you can see more than one bird in a weekend (if yer lucky)..

I've seen Huns once or twice on canned hunts, typically vanishing into the far distance..

New Topic Add Reply