It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:36

New Topic Add Reply
Perrine fly box foam
Post 13 Feb 2023, 20:51 • #1 
Hi, longtime lurker, but I think this is my first post.
Super nuance question…
Two of my old Perrine boxes have white foam that is super porous-i love how it holds flies. I ended up ripping it on one box and want to find the same stuff. There is lots of ridge foam and slotted foam out there but has anyone seen this stuff. What got me thinking is a photo in the adjacent dry fly thread-it lolz like the poster took a pic of the dry fly over the Perrine foam
Whatcha know? Thanks in advance!

[I think this is the thread in question - Tom].

Last edited by jgestar on 13 Feb 2023, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
[I moved this post here, it is more of a tying question - Tom]

Re: Perrine fly box foam
Post 15 Feb 2023, 06:26 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
This foam in this picture? (From the thread titled Mayflies):

If so that appears to be polyethylene foam as opposed to the EVA foam used in most fly boxes. If it is that foam it is sometimes called polyethylene air foam and used as a packing material.

If you can't find what you are after, Wheatley sells pre-cut foam sheets of all types in different sizes and will even do bespoke inserts if required. They also offer large sheets you can cut yourself and I can attest to the quality of their foam.

Good luck!!

Post 17 Feb 2023, 10:54 • #3 
Thanks! I will look for that type. I do have some wheatley sheet foam and will probably end up with that but the stock type of foam doesn’t get torn up by big hooks.

Post 17 Feb 2023, 13:02 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Perrine box that I put foam into 40+ years ago and it still works, it's the foam used in packing electronic gadgets, not exactly the same as the foam Perrine used but it holds my flies.

Post 18 Feb 2023, 09:20 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
John sv wrote:
Thanks! I will look for that type. I do have some wheatley sheet foam and will probably end up with that but the stock type of foam doesn’t get torn up by big hooks.

Have you ever tried Nubby Tack for the big hooks? If not you might want to try and find some. It is the material holding the flies in the top half of the fly box in the photo below:

No piercing of the material is required. It holds stuff between little "nubs," you just push the hook point between the posts. It's made of a rubber-like material and is almost indestructible. I've pulled it out of boxes I didn't like and reinstalled it elsewhere. It's heavier than foam but it works well for bigger hooks.

You could do a half & half; one half sheet of Nubby Tack and the other half with plain foam for the smaller hooks.

If are interested in Nubby Tack, send me a private message and l may be able to help you.

Two other options for larger hooks:

Contact Richard Wheatley in the UK and ask them if Fox Box inserts are available. I don't see them on the website but I bought more than a few things from them directly that aren't on the website.

If you can deal with clips, a second not exactly cheap option is using a full or smaller Wheatley Clip Plate to hold the bigger hooks.

I know from experience that because Wheatley offers so many options, they don't inventory a lot of product but tend to make up the boxes as they are ordered. Because of that I have a feeling if you asked, they would make you a 6" plate with clips on one half & foam on the other or sell you a 6" plate with hooks on one half and just a blank aluminum plate on the other half where you could put the foam of your choice.

Just a thought...

Good luck!

New Topic Add Reply