It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:09

New Topic Add Reply
Dorsey indicators
Post 20 Jan 2023, 09:18 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I started using this approach with small indicators and beadhead flies with no splitshot: https://youtu.be/kLgGPjXe_fA. It really seems to help with spooky fish and slow, shallow water.

It’s supposed to allow you to slide the indicator without kinking your leader. I suppose it doesn’t create a sharp kink like slip knotting the yarn directly in the mono. However, it always creates curly pigtails for me no matter how thick the tippet. Is there some trick to preventing this that I missed?

Re: Dorsey indicators
Post 20 Jan 2023, 11:12 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Cool way to rig but you are putting a"kink" in the leader from what i am seeing per the video.I do not use an indicator or bobber.The yarn is not a bobber in my book like some of the other methods are.I am going to give the yarn indicators a shot this season as it seems better than trying to watch the end of the fly line 40 feet away.I have tried pegged ice fishing floats in the past but they do not cast well.My absolute favorite fishing is still minnow bobber for crappies and bobber hamburger for catfish.Watching that bobber go down and knowing you got a good fish is as thrilling as when i was 6yo.Hoping indicator fishing is the same.Thanks for sharing the link.

Post 20 Jan 2023, 15:25 • #3 
Guide
Here’s a couple of additional videos that helped me get the system down:

From Pat Dorsey himself:
https://youtu.be/vnbKjRx8YrM
He uses the loose yarn and combs out on the stream with some Velcro taped to a small dowel.

Another from a guy that I think guided for Pat (don’t know the history):
https://youtu.be/hJKBaNaEL9A

His video helped me simplify the rubber band by making a loop and wrapping the loop from the underside of the rubberband. Seemed easier for me but my dexterity isn’t the best.

I used this extensively and only switch to a regular hard indicator only in really high wind conditions. They are unbelievably sensitive.

Post 20 Jan 2023, 17:33 • #4 
Guide
FWIW - I’ve started using this approach about 2 seasons ago and have found it to be my preferred approach.
I started off using yarn and tying the pieces with thread at home but found that the wool floats longer, doesn’t need to be tied in advance - or at all, and holds more weight than yarn, which translates into a smaller amount of material flowing on the water that is more sensitive. I’ve also played with the New Zealand strike indicator which is the same thing, except using really small tubing instead of a rubber band.

Neither option left kinks in the leader or tippet and I have used them on 5X tippet. With tippet that thin, using New Zealand tool and tube is easier to setup than the rubber band.

I have been amazed at how much weight a small amount of wool will suspend. The only issue I’ve had is that too many larger trout come up and take the white wool and carry off the rest of the rig. :eek

Post 21 Jan 2023, 12:18 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
@Zeppo-VA is the dental band on the yarn or on the leader when ready to fish? some videos seem to show the leader being straight and only in contact with a fold of yarn with the rubber okeeping the yarn folded, yet other videos seem to show the rubber being left on the leader and the yarn being kept in place by a fold in the leader like a slip knot.

Post 21 Jan 2023, 16:50 • #6 
Guide
Trev - it is on both …

I slide the rubber band up to the wool once the wool is through the loop, like you see in the videos.
But I noticed it was easier to adjust depth with the New Zealand indicator using tubing because I would pull both sides of the tippet to seat the wool partially inside the tubing leaving as little tippet going into the tube as I can manage (as you described the leader / tippet being straight and the tube mostly but not only keeping the wool folded. more friction is needed than just the tippet sliding against the wool).
So I started pulling on both sides of the tippet to seat the wool when using a rubber band getting less tippet and more wool in the rubber band. That made it easier to adjust when using a rubber band.

The amount of wool used (how thick it is when folded), the diameter and thickness of the rubber band, the # of wraps the around the tippet/ leader, and the thickness of the leader/ tippet material where it is being attached all make some difference in seating the wool and ease of adjusting depth by sliding along the tippet/ leader.

Bottom line — ya gotta put it on leader / tippet material couple of times with diff number of wraps around tippet and rubber band size to get the sense of it. One or twice while watching TV and you will see especially if you try it on thicker tippet first.

Sorry for the length and the wordiness of this answer. I didn’t have time to make it shorter/ clearer.

Post 23 Jan 2023, 11:03 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
bassackwards - I think it sounds like the yarn indicator isn't being placed high enough up the leader.
Mine go way up to about two feet or three off the end of line sometimes... it depends on depth yes...
but you can always reduce the weight.

Brushing out the material is the only way to go - floats higher than a cork.
Well worth doing it every time to land a fish.

Dave Whitlock pop top had a sort of heads up style - but I never got used to that like just black O ring style

I have a bag of 1300 dark yarn indicators - been messing with them for various ways for 20 years now.
Stuff was pretreated with Watershed too.

Post 23 Jan 2023, 20:38 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks, Zeppo, I thought/think the kinkiness as experienced by Bassackwards might be due to having the leader/tippet in the holder (rubber or tube) rather than in the fold of yarn. My previous reading had made me think the rubber band should only hold the yarn and that only the yarn would contact the leader/tippet.
If the leader is kinked into the holder, it's hard to believe the rig can slide without a heat kink. I'll have to mess around with this one day and see what happens.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 12:53 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I don’t think it is possible to end up with the rubber band just around the yarn, since you wrap the leader through the band several times. I’ve tried this on different parts of the leader, and there’s always some degree of pigtailing. I’ve reduced the number of wraps to 5. Fewer than that is not tight enough to hold. I also moisten the leader before sliding the yarn.

I’ll try pushing the band as much up the yarn as possible.

Last edited by bassackwards on 24 Jan 2023, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 18:59 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I'm probably confused then, I'm seeing that as the rubber band is coiled around a bight in the leader, every pass of the bight through the band is results in the band being twisted and coiled. If we passed the end of the leader through the band that way it would result in the two being intertwined and pig tailing. I need to make one of these, to set my mind straight.

Post 24 Jan 2023, 21:05 • #11 
Guide
Hmmm, you may be overthinking it…
Whether using this on 4x or the leader butt, I have not used more than 4 wraps of the rubber band around the leader/ tippet.

But worry not. I’ll set up a weekend seminar outside of DC for those who are interested. Tuition will be only 250 with all supplies furnished for a ten minute hands-on workshop …. It may even be tax deductible. :eek

New Topic Add Reply