It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 03:16

New Topic Add Reply
Chartreuse Caboose
Post 10 Dec 2022, 21:39 • #1 
Guide
I enjoy cruising the American Angler website (wish the print magazine had survived) and came across the Chartreuse Caboose on page 2 in this smallmouth article.

https://www.americanangler.com/northwests-smallmouth-triangle/2/

Anyone out there tying or fishing them?

Looks like an interesting blend of influential patterns, not sure I've ever fished a fly with dumbbell eyes that close to the hook bend.

Re: Chartreuse Caboose
Post 11 Dec 2022, 09:35 • #2 
Master Guide
I’ve never seen that pattern, but I bet the bass around here would like that one. Seems like estaz or palmer chenille is on 99% of the bass flies I tie.

I also like that the tying recipe says you must use exactly 9 rubber legs for the tail - definitely not 8 or 10.

Post 11 Dec 2022, 21:14 • #3 
Sport
A lot of red fish shrimp patterns have the same dumbbell orientation. Never had one twist.

Post 13 Dec 2022, 12:28 • #4 
Master Guide
While not the exact same pattern, I'm been fishing very similar patterns for many years, and they can be deadly on smallmouth and other species as well.

Since the article link is related to smallmouth in the northwest, I will say that they have become a rather invasive species in this region. With warming air and water temperatures they have been steadily moving upstream in river drainages that have been traditionally only trout, steelhead, salmon and other native species habitat. All smallmouth caught in rivers and streams in this region should be harvested (where legally allowed) in my opinion. Just saying. I don't mean to sidetrack this post.

New Topic Add Reply