It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:54

New Topic Add Reply
Anybody know this fly?
Post 28 Sep 2022, 15:27 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Many years ago, when I lived in bluegill country, I bought one of each of the promised "miracle flies" for bluegill that I could find. This is one of them. Recently, I visited my grandson in Virginia and we fished the lake near his house with this fly under a bobber so he could cast it. This fly lives up to its reputation. By the time I left he loved to fish and his success with this fly makes me want to get some more of them because it worked so well.

I bought it on ebay, I think, but cannot find anything just like it there today. Have any of you seen or know of this fly and where I might have gotten it. It IS a great bluegill fly.

Post 28 Sep 2022, 17:31 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
It looks like this one: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GkpOVzFvb2g

Post 28 Sep 2022, 20:25 • #3 
Piscator
easy enough to make with tinsel chenille, peacock herl and sili legs

Post 28 Sep 2022, 20:45 • #4 
Sport
Looks like a flashy bully spider to me too. I usually fish them in black or yellow under a popper or foam spider. I’ll have to tie some shiny ones. I bet they’d be killer.

Post 28 Sep 2022, 21:24 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Bully spider,easy tie but just has never been a good fly for me.Lots of people swear by them tho.Wish they worked for here.Have tied and tried lots of versions,

Post 02 Oct 2022, 13:50 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
With your help, I found a guy on the auction site who ties something similar and I asked him to make some like this. He is getting the tinsel now and will tie some up for me and my grandson.

Post 02 Oct 2022, 15:20 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Glad you found an Ebayer who will do custom ties for you.Will be a good confidence fly for your grandson.When i was a kid i would only use certain colors of jigs and crankbaits.Many times the color probably did not matter but i caught fish on them and fished better as a result .I just knew they would catch fish.

Post 02 Oct 2022, 22:11 • #8 
Guide
I alway have a couple yellow (and some black) Wilson Bully Bluegill Spiders in my panfish fly box.

They hold up well, I also like the Wilson's Brim Reaper fly a lot.

Post 02 Oct 2022, 23:13 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
That fly should be weighted near the bend so that it falls vertically, I think, and the legs should fan out from the hook rather than layed back over it as some websites show. The key is slow falling and the spraddled legs act as a parachute. I have doubts that the actual body material matters a lot.

Post 03 Oct 2022, 15:21 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Trev is correct.Should be weighted in the butt.It will fall hook bend first and cause the parachute effect on the fall.Will also pulse nicely when twitched.Have seen the legs tied in different ways but usually right at the hook eye.

New Topic Add Reply