It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:00

New Topic Add Reply
Is it or isn't it?
Post 18 Jul 2022, 12:20 • #1 
Master Guide
Is it a problem, as a fly? The image below is a closeup of a flure tied with a #10 grasshopper hook. It is too light to cast with a spinning rod.

...same for the following video.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y_xVmVYshTE

As an rapidly aging old guy I find it easiest to wade slowly downstream where ever possible, on the edges of deeper water, fishing down and across with a wiggler. Want it to swim left? Roll cast a big loop upstream and left. Mend the line. Let out slack as it drifts downstream. In mid to late summer the fish are not hanging out on the banks anymore. They're in deep mid-river runs. Downstream with a diving wiggler, with a loooooong leader, is deadly.

If it's not a fly it isn't a lure either, because you can only use it with a fly rod, at least if you do not add lots of extra weight.

Re: Is it or isn't it?
Post 18 Jul 2022, 12:58 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If you made it to cast on a flyrod it is a fly?That would be my opinion.I am workinhig on some balsa divers for my bass fishing.They might be castable on an UL spinning rod but would likely break off most fish .I usually got an hour into most of my balsa bugs so there is that.

Post 18 Jul 2022, 13:16 • #3 
Master Guide
:=)) I've been working on wiggling divers for 50 years. It isn't easy. The best divers are not the best wigglers. And versa visa. Flures that do both (dive and wiggle) are almost possible. The best divers (riffle darts) dive straight down and hold there. When you strip in 6" inches of line they dart left or right and hold their depth rather than shooting straight back up to the surface, as most traditional streamers do. That's good stuff too.

Flures that do not sink at rest, that gurgle on or near the surface, are easier. But good stuff too. Especially for bass.

I like it. Anything that's hard to do that comes with a big reward when you do get it right--is right up my ally. Or is it down my riffle?

Show us your work Hersh. I'd like to see it.
:=))

Post 18 Jul 2022, 14:33 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
This one is experimental.I have tied a bunch of balsa poppers lately.The eyes are flat stick on foil eyes domed with UV thick goo.The legs are feathers dragged thru clear silicone on wax paper then sqweegeed with flat press sheet.I may give it a test tomorow morning.

New Topic Add Reply