It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:20

New Topic Add Reply
Perdigon nymphs
Post 12 May 2022, 13:23 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I recently used these nymphs for the first time as the dropper fly while fishing for browns in a medium sized stream. It was fairly cool weather with no hatches and the fish weren't looking up. According to the web, these flies were invented in Spain for fishing competitions and were tied with large-ish tungsten beads to get them down deep quickly. They're smooth and offer little resistance when sinking. But fishing a heavy nymph from a dry fly will quickly pull the top fly under unless you're using a big foam hopper or chubby. I knew I wanted to give these a try as a dropper so I tied up several using smaller non-tungsten beads in sz16 (see photo) and used them 18" under a bushy sz14 elk hair caddis. I believe these lighter Perdigons still sink quickly under the top fly but I had very little problem with swamping the caddis even in moving water. They're fun and easy to tie and can be tied in a variety of colors. Do an ebay search to see the many variations. The final step in the tie is to coat them with a thin UV glue - I really like Solarez Bone Dry thin resin which dries hard and clear. The tails can be Coq de Leon, pheasant tail fibers, or various hair and will be the least durable part of the fly - the rest of the fly is bulletproof and they still work fine without the tail (ask me how I know). Suffice it to say that these flies were extremely effective and will be in my fly box in the future.

Re: Perdigon nymphs
Post 12 May 2022, 20:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice,i got caught up in the tung bead competition jig thing for awhile but not for trout. I was using mine in clear deep water for big sunfish but soon figured out a slower drop was needed at times and used brass beads for the finicky bigger bluegills and now use different sizes of colored bead chain.I still like the concept of the euro nymphs and have caught a lot of fish including stocked trout and carp using these components but fuller dressings.

Post 13 May 2022, 09:48 • #3 
Sport
Perdigon nymphs with tungsten beads are good choice when you have to use small fly in deep or fast water. They do sink fast.

Post 13 May 2022, 12:34 • #4 
Sport
I also have some just haven't got around to trying them yet

Post 13 May 2022, 12:40 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
nice! they are one of my go-to nymphs when trout fishing. Great for euro-style techniques, great for a dropper off the back of a foam hopper, great for use under in indicator, great for catching the hell out of fish.....what's not to like?

Post 13 May 2022, 13:16 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
MM 84 - Very nice looking Perdigons! I think that for deep nymphing or for suspending a larger nymph under a big foam fly, tungsten is fine. I just wanted to use a smaller top fly without pulling it under. However, if I was going down to sz18 or smaller as the dropper fly, tungsten would be fine too - maybe better than non-tungsten. It all depends on the size and buoyancy of the top fly. A sz22 nymph can be fished under a very small top fly and in that size, I don't think it matters what the microscopic bead is made of.

Post 13 May 2022, 16:51 • #7 
Guide
I agree that those are some nice looking nymphs. But... excuse me, folks ... but wouldn't the nymph be the point fly and the dry fly the dropper?

Post 13 May 2022, 17:51 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
According to the web (so it must be true :) ) the point fly is the one you attach to your leader tippet and the dropper is the second or trailing fly.

Post 13 May 2022, 18:03 • #9 
Master Guide
Thanks for posting !

Post 13 May 2022, 18:53 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
tiptop wrote:
According to the web (so it must be true :) ) the point fly is the one you attach to your leader tippet and the dropper is the second or trailing fly.

that's the way I've always understood it...regardless of semantics and to the purveyors of semantic accuracy....they're still nice flies that work & work really damn well.

Post 13 May 2022, 19:59 • #11 
Master Guide
I don’t tie flys but if I did … had a lot of success with these on the Green River. I am a believer. I thought the point fly was the one below the dropper?

Post 03 Jun 2022, 04:19 • #12 
Sport
Not much dry dropper fishing experience for me, since on the rivers I fish mostly, the rule is one fly only.

But I've tried it outside of fly fishing areas and liked it.

Dry fly was pretty much a poly yarn indicator, with small tippet ring attached, disguised as caddis. :)

Regarding the perdigon style nymphs, this one worked good for me in the summer. .

Sight nymphing for grayling...

New Topic Add Reply