It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:02

New Topic Add Reply
thread dubbing brush
Post 06 May 2022, 11:51 • #1 
Master Guide
Most tiers make "dubbing brushes" with thin wire which limits its scope.
You can make a dubbing brush with thread instead.

I make a small plastic-covered "platform" between two vises facing each other, with a hook in each vise. where one such vise is a rotary.

Stretch some thread from one hook to the other. Use hanging hackle pliers to keep some tension on the horizontal thread. Wet the thread with Aleene's Flexible Stretchable fabric cement. Hold synthetic fibers above the thread, above the mini-platform and snip them so they fall down onto the wet thread.

Now Wet the hanging thread with more fabric cement. Pull it over top to the other hook. Remove the platform under the not-yet-woven thread brush. Twist up the thread. Walk away. Wait a minute. Now take the thread off and hang it somehow, with weight, so it remains twisted up for about ten minutes more.

Now the fibers are permanentee. When you take tension off the brush it relaxes and twists backwards one or two turns but that's all. And those fibers are there for the long haul. Aleene's Flexible Stretchable fabric ceement holds like a starving monkey. And yet it's soft and flexy. And you didn't use much fabric cement anyway.

Next step attach it to a snelled hook, and you've got a big long and flexible from end-to-end minnow, in a tenth the effort it takes to make a Game Changer. I'll add an image of a finished bug in a day or two.

Re: thread dubbing brush
Post 06 May 2022, 13:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
:like

Re: thread dubbing brush
Post 06 May 2022, 19:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
:like

Take two this moroning
Post 07 May 2022, 10:08 • #4 
Master Guide
This is going to turn into a several months project. I can tell.
You cold make looooooooooong flexy streamers with the brush more or less as is.
Or you could make a sparser brush with natural hair (badger guard hairs)
and make your own Pott Flies, without weaving. Or anything wire-based dubbing brushes are good for.
This goes quickly once you have the setup in place.

I'll make a setup photo too at some point. Once the fabric cement is cured these are durable. And yet still flex from end to end-----even more so than a feather. The two thread strands that make the center of these brushes are more flexible than a typical feather stem. A lot more so.

New Topic Add Reply