It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:46

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Apr 2022, 09:55 • #1 
Guide
I held off tying my own flies for years because it was rabbit hole I did not want to go down, However, I finally gave in and learned to tie a few, starting with a Zebra Midge and a few other wet and finally trying an Elk Hair and Parachute Adams. The two dry took many hours and tries to get fishable. To get Adams post correct I used the needle trick which saved the day, I could not get thread to wrap tight around post on my own, also wrapping the hackle one at a time was much easier than both at same time. Elk hair was a disaster in process..LOL Local Orvis staff really helped with good ideas like needle and wrapping thread very lightly at first to not spray elk hair wide.

Yesterday I finally got out with my not so good looking flies but the brookies seem to really like the Parachute Adams in size 14/16 and a size 18 Perdigon which worked for those not looking up yet.

Sorry no pics but memory will last as Adams will be retired to Study.

Post 10 Apr 2022, 10:13 • #2 
Master Guide
Congratulations that must be a great feeling. I am lucky to have fishing buddies who tie flies and get me to test drive them. So I have not taken the plunge in to that world yet.

Post 10 Apr 2022, 13:25 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That is an achievment.I started tying flies before i ever flyfished.I just wanted to catch the giant bluegills that inhabited some strip mines i used to fish that fed on the surface.Tying is now like therapy to me.Learning to cast a flyrod was one of the best things i ever did for myself.I have been tying on and off for 35 years and i still struggle with new patterns ,mostly my own adaptations of common flies.Usually have to tie a new fly 4or 5 times before i am even close to happy.When i do tie one that i can live with i set it aside as an example to be copied later.I rarely write anything down or take pictures.

Post 10 Apr 2022, 21:45 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I really need to start using up my flytying materials. Over time I have acquired enough fur, feathers, foam, flash materials, threads, chenille, etc. that I should be able to tie flies for the next 5 or 6 years and still have material left over. About once or twice a year I get ambitious and tie up six to a dozen flies. I enjoy tying for a short time, but then lose interest in continuing. I probably have a couple of thousand flies I have purchased, and just purchased more recently. I need to get some of my grandchildren interested in flyfishing and tying so I can pass these materials on to them. That would also be a good way to dispose of more rods and reels than I can ever use.

Larry

Post 11 Apr 2022, 18:40 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations ! I find fly tying is a really relaxing pastime. Sometimes it is nice to tie flies just to tie flies, or as a creative outlet.

For me it started while trying to "repair" some jig buggers I had bought where the hackle was starting to unwind. Next thing you know I was reading a Kindle book on tying various flies. I also wanted to tie my own tenkara kebari.

I think a lot of people probably start with woolly buggers of some sort. Fortunately, buggers don't need to be pretty to catch fish ! Some of the ugliest flies to human eyes can still catch fish. And the fish can still turn up their noses at pretty flies, too :)

I learned a lot of basic things from youtube channels like tightlinevideo. There are lots and lots of fly-tying videos/tutorials/step-by-steps/recipes online, and I have a huge stash of bookmarks.

Post 11 Apr 2022, 19:20 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
It is always rewarding to catch a fish on a fly you tied.

Post 11 Apr 2022, 21:22 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Congratulations! That's a fantastic feeling.

Like others, I find tying very therapeutic and relaxing. It's a great way to spend your time, and it gets even better when you catch fish on your own flies.

Post 19 Apr 2022, 10:13 • #8 
Congrats!! That first one is excellent!!

Post 20 Apr 2022, 00:56 • #9 
Guide
Congratulations! May those brookies be the first of many fish on your own flies to come.

Post 20 Apr 2022, 09:36 • #10 
Guide
Congrats! I'm fairly new to fly fishing (less than 10 years) and i started tying shortly after I got into the sport. There is just something about catching a fish on something you took time and effort into creating. Put a smile on my face when I caught my first one. Long may it continue!

Post 06 May 2022, 09:02 • #11 
Guide
Congrats. I regret that I did not retire the first fly that I tied that caught a fish. I did retire the fly which was the first fly I tied that caught a fish with a rod that I built. It was just a simple black zonker on my JP Ross 8' 5wt beaver meadow s-glass.

New Topic Add Reply