It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 10:34

New Topic Add Reply
Hook Size Chart
Post 01 Apr 2022, 19:26 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Any idea where get a chart to tell what size a hook is?

I see hackle gauges with hook size markings on ebay, but they only go down to size 16.

Thanks,
Barry

Re: Hook Size Chart
Post 01 Apr 2022, 22:45 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
The simplest and cheapest way I can think of is to do a Google search for hook size charts and print off a copy. I found several.

Larry

Post 02 Apr 2022, 14:03 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I'll give it a try.

Thanks

...Tried several, but not printing correct sizes.

Post 02 Apr 2022, 15:11 • #4 
Guide
Here is a link to a chart put out by TMC that I have used it for a couple years, now. Obviously, you have to make sure your printer is set to 100%.

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/gene ... -chart.pdf

steve

Post 02 Apr 2022, 17:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks--I'll give it a try.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't the page to open up.

Post 03 Apr 2022, 10:21 • #6 
Guide
Hmm. Try this. It is the complete article.
http://www.bishfish.co.nz/bishonfish/pr ... -print-it/

steve

Post 03 Apr 2022, 15:47 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
i can go thru say 10 different types /brands of dry fly hooks in say size 12 and lay them out and they will all be different sizes.I do have a book somewhere on tackle crafting that supposedly has all the hook sizes on pages with all the different styles bends et.,It also has spinner blades and other components in actual sizes.It is an older book and probably outdated.I am still struggling with the new thread system, denier vs ought size.These are not even consistent across manufactures.I mostly use light wire barbless hooks but the gap on a 12 is much bigger than a 12 mustad sproat or some light wire dry fly orvis hooks in 12.I have a hoard of old mustad hooks from 2s to 22s in many styles.I bought some hoks online last year,60degree jig hooks with barbs,sz 12 and 14.the 14s are more like 6s and the 12s like 8s.I contacted the seller and he said they clearly stated these hooks are "over sized" .Not even in the ball park .Not a fan of these folks buying hooks by the 1000s from china and repackaging into little zip bags and selling as premium hooks.Sucks the online people pretty much destroyed the local fly shops, where you could hold something in your hand and look at it.

Post 04 Apr 2022, 12:06 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The Hersh pretty much nailed it...

The ONLY consistency between hook sizes is within the same hook style/model number from the same manufacturer.

Case in point, below are two size 32 hooks. The smaller one is a Model 277 from Mustad (discontinued) inside of a size 32 Tiemco Model 518 (also discontinued):

Even a size 16 between hook styles/model numbers from the same manufacturer can differ widely because the size differences are relative to what they are being compared to within a single model number.

Since the flies I tie are typically representations of insects and the shank from the back of the eye to just before the bend is what I have to work with, I choose my hook sizes based on the length of the hook shank in millimeters and I don't worry about what size hook it is supposed to be.

In regards to hackle gauges; even though I have a few, they are relative to the gape of whatever hook the hackle gauge manufacturer used as a guide and what they think is the right size hackle for a particular hook. Even sized hackle like Whiting 100 packs is subjective to the gape of the hook you are using or if you are winding hackle on a bare hook or palmering hackle over a dubbed body.

For that reason, I find the best hackle gauge to be the hook I am using... ;)

YMMV

Post 04 Apr 2022, 14:34 • #9 
Guide
And some of us have thought that the disregard for industry standards among fly line manufacturers is bad...

Post 04 Apr 2022, 16:36 • #10 
Administrator
Hook manufacturers have done their own thing for centuries. To the best of my knowledge, there is no industry standard or organization with regards to hook sizes, shapes, names, materials, or construction.

Fly lines have a very clear, easily followed, industry standard. AFFTA.org supposedly maintains the standard, but instead tries to be a marketing and promotion organization. The result is while fly lines aren't as weirdly sized as fly hooks, they are getting there. That shouldn't be the case.

I'm with Bamboozle, measure the hook shank in millimeters or inches - two very clear, well maintained, standards. A ruler marked in inches (or mm) is the same measurement, no matter who sells it.

Tom

Post 04 Apr 2022, 18:24 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks to you both for making me feel a little less crazy.

Post 04 Apr 2022, 19:49 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
A bit late to the party, but my experience matches those above. I work on finding hooks that I like and using them as the standards going forward. Personally, Daiichi hooks have been my go to for the last several years, and when I deviate from them (which still happens plenty), I judge other sizes based on their standards. Except for their jig hooks, which for some reason I find uncommonly large. The klinkhÄmer is a bit large too.

Post 05 Apr 2022, 14:36 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
This site has inventoried and measured hundreds of hook models, he pictures the hook on graph paper so that you can see it, gives measurements of them and what they might be used for, https://flyhooks.org/

Post 05 Apr 2022, 15:09 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
All good information.

Thanks--Barry

Post 05 Apr 2022, 16:22 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Trev

New Topic Add Reply