It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Mar 2022, 19:36 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
A bit of a rant here. I just started a batch of McNally Frogs and had to resort to plastic bodies. Ugh.

Post 30 Mar 2022, 17:40 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
You know where i found some little ones?The local hardware store.If they have those drawers full of parts nuts bolts pulls parts etc.!00s of odds and ends.I said stoppers.Rubber and in the back all kinds of cork stoppers.I use balsa muself as it is easier to carve and sand and finish as the cork has a lot of pits in it.

Post 30 Mar 2022, 18:05 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Jann's, Amazon and other places that sell crafts will have the small cork stoppers, that we can use, but I've not seen the preformed cork bodies in years.

Post 30 Mar 2022, 21:05 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Cork stoppers, some Bondo and sand paper, some paint then epoxy.

http://www.corkstore.com/Products/Regul ... ered-Corks

Post 31 Mar 2022, 07:28 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Bondo?I guess on bigger poppers.Little poppers I just use foam and a punch and hammer.I made some big poppers with cork but the paint does not stay on well.I like traditional materials.What is the best primer for cork?

Post 31 Mar 2022, 13:36 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Janns has 25 count bags if you don't want the large bags in Carlz link- https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/bug-popper-bodies/665105.aspx
and they have some instruction and size chart here https://www.jannsnetcraft.com/content/cork_poppers.htm#:~:text=Put%20a%20few%20drops%20of%20Zap-A-Gap%20into%20the,the%20hook%20into%20the%20jaws%20of%20your%20vise.

I haven't done these in a long time and back then I used either a rattle can or Testors model paint. I never filled the holes with Bondo either, I did use Rock Hard Water putty on some and left some with holes as they were which I preferred, I never considered priming them, just applied the paint on thin coats until I was satisfied. Even with my shortcut methods I eventually decided poppers were too much trouble, i think Tap's Bug or Gartsides Gurgler are good substitutes and easier for me to make.
I think today most guys use water based acrylics from the craft store/department, or compressed air and Coptic markers.

Post 31 Mar 2022, 15:49 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
thanks trev.I have a very specific design for bass poppers and i can saw balsa to the rough dimensions then sand.I copied this specific shape as i used to buy these premade molded on the hook poppers.Some sort of hard plastic foam.They just worked and caught a lot of bass on them.I got down to my last ones and then could not find them anywhere on line.So i just took some good measurements and made my own.The flymen or whatever they are called that sells the articulated makes some decent poppers bodies in various sizes with matching popper hooks and eyes for each size .I have yet to catch a fish on one but have had a few hits but they spit the bug .I got a bunch of stinger hooks over the winter that i think will work better on these particular bodies which i have many.For the ones i make i use a streamer hook.

Post 31 Mar 2022, 18:38 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated. To clarify a bit, this is the style of popper body I have in mind:

Post 31 Mar 2022, 18:50 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
the flymen have their doble barrel poppers that have that deep cupping.like those.might be worth a look they are easy to work with.

Post 01 Apr 2022, 11:14 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
gaddis, that's exactly the kind I said I haven't seen for a while, I may still have a few hidden away somewhere, but I never see those listed in catalogs anymore. I caught more fish with those turned around. They sure do take the work out of building poppers, but most people seem to like the shaped foam or punch cut filpflop soles these days. I used to cut up dowel rods and shape fly rod surface lures too, but haven't done that in years either. I expect a Dremel that I didn't have then would speed up the process some.
I'm not sure, but it seems that fly fishing is becoming more and more western trout and steelhead orientated on the supply side. I read less about eastern trout these days and see very little about non-salmonid fishing. No demand leads to no supply.

Post 01 Apr 2022, 12:50 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
If you can shape the main shape with sandpaper, you can do the cup with a Dremel tool. But it isn't as easy as buying them.

Balsa is a lot easier to work with, but you really need a decent coating of epoxy. Otherwise, they don't hold up.

New Topic Add Reply