It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:03

New Topic Add Reply
Stimulated caper
Post 18 Mar 2022, 14:46 • #1 
Master Guide
Lots of flies get invented independently by different tiers. It happens a lot. The same good idea explodes in two different brains more or less at the same time. It's not surprising.

What is surprising is two different tiers inventing the same fly and both coining the same name. Jim Slattery invented his Fluttering Stone in the early 80s and soon thereafter renamed it the Stimulator after a NYCity punk band of the same name. Randal Kaufman had the Stimulator in his catalog, as a Stimulator, at much the same time.

Is that one hell of a coincidence?

Last edited by pittendrigh on 18 Mar 2022, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Stimulated caper
Post 18 Mar 2022, 15:59 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe they were drinking together and listening to punk music, then things got muddled ;)

I've often been amused by the names of "new" flies. Never heard the punk rock band story before, funny one. You'd think it would be a fly named because it stimulated the fish to eat.

Post 18 Mar 2022, 16:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Just to add to that, many flies that were "invented" and named by someone were tied in very similar form by someone else who never named the fly and never had it publicized. So I don't think it is a coincidence at all. Different routes often come out the same place, and the same place is often reached by the same route by different travelers. No coincidence if they are seeking similar experience.

Post 19 Mar 2022, 07:31 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I must say that the thing I love about the fly tying community is the way patterns and ideas are freely shared for the most part.I tend to alter every dam fly I tie.I do tie some step by step to the original but I tie using styles more than specific .patterns.My flies are for local warm water fish so I adapt using methods and styles from the dozens of books and. 100s magazine articles I have read I am a bug geek.I have my own latest and greatest for the local bluegill etc.Everything I do is based on someone else's foundation.So is pretty much everything else in life.

New Topic Add Reply