It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:30

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Apr 2022, 07:03 • #26 
Master Guide
Nice tie, Clarkman! That would definitely catch largemouth in the ponds and small lakes around here.

I had a chance to fish the flies I posted earlier in this thread, and the most successful was Galloup’s bangtail - great side to side wounded movement. The gamechangers looked realistic in the water, but I couldn’t get a fish to look at them. Whrlpool, I’ll try your recommendation to tie them more sparsely - good idea.

Post 11 Apr 2022, 09:59 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
thanks! I got it wet yesterday and it looked really good in the water. I was worried that it might not keel properly without additional weight, but it did quite nicely in addition to some nice erratic action on a hard strip. I tied up a larger one on a 3/0 for tiger muskies that I'll get wet the next time I get after them.

Post 11 Apr 2022, 16:18 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
Good report C-man.The erratic action is key for largemouths yet they will readily eat a bubblegum pink plastic worm falling to the bottom.I have a several crankbaits in bluegill color yet they failed to catch many if any fish.The same lure in shad pattern slays them.Maybe they are just screwing with me.

Post 11 Apr 2022, 17:18 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
It might have something to do with soft rays being easier to consume than spiny rays. I saw a study done a while back on a population of tiger muskies (I can't remember if it was on the ones up here in Washington or a Utah population) and they found that while they did eat bluegills, crappie, baby bass, etc.; their preferred diet came from suckers, whitefish, etc....e.g. not fish with spiny fins if present. My idea for the tiger musky sized one was basically to cast to spotted fish laying up on top of weed beds that won't move to anything else. I figure that it's small enough that it just could have something that might trigger those types of neutral fish.

Post 12 Apr 2022, 15:03 • #30 
Glass Fanatic
I see bass completely destroy small bluegills all the time but they do prefer shad shiners and other soft rayed minnows.Interesting thing i have heard lately ,my son and a couple cousind belong to a club that owns an 80 acre spring fed quarry that is managed to the point where every member must log-in whatever species they catch,release and keep.They put pure muskies in a few years ago and this club which has existed for nearly 80 years and known for trophy panfish.They have dozens of mounts of 2lb bluegills,giant perch and crappies.Many caught thru the ice.Apparantly the muskies are reproducing and wiping out lots of the other fish .They have the state shock survey every couple years.The members are pissed.This is a really cool place with a long waiting list to be a member and pretty pricey yearly dues.

Post 12 Apr 2022, 21:57 • #31 
Master Guide
Interesting theory on spiny fish - makes sense from an evolutionary point of view. The olive/yellow color combo has worked well for me on largemouth this season, so here’s a new bluegill-ish fly.

This is derived from a pattern called Cousin It. Front section is a large 35mm shank, and the rear is a B10S size 2. Looks like a blob of marabou in the picture, but the movement underwater is pretty fishy.

Post 13 Apr 2022, 15:49 • #32 
Glass Fanatic
Super nice looking fly! I buy into the spiny fish theory based on - while wading our local big river fishing for Smallmouth, I noticed some commotion upstream, appearing as a surface strike. It was. Floating along was a struggling 4" gill, being repeatedly pummeled by a Smallmouth of about 3 lbs. That Smallie was trying to shut down permanently the nervous system of the gill. Commotion went on for another 30' of river until it went quiet. Smallmouth 1, gill nil I'd bet.

Post 14 Apr 2022, 07:17 • #33 
Glass Fanatic
Correct John.Smallies like to or have to stun their prey.I got to fish outback Ontario with a former guide and we caught 100 of smallmouths.Many over 5lbs.The biggest we caught were on live frogs"hooked in one leg.It was kind of hard to watch.They hit the frogs over and over.A large mouth just engulfs their prey like a snook.Thats why I never give up on a smallmouths after the initial strike.Our IL smallmouths are quite stealthy and smart especially in the rivers and creeks.

Post 14 Apr 2022, 11:32 • #34 
Guide
Different approach than many of the great looking flies in this thread, but this was my idea for a juvenile bluegill pattern.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68557

Post 17 Apr 2022, 09:39 • #35 
Master Guide
Nice classic looking pattern, Wet Fly. Looks like it would be easy to cast on light 3-4wt glass rods. I also like to palmer a red guinea feather on my streamers to add some blood/gill colors behind the head.

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply