It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:34

New Topic Add Reply
Foot pedal rotary vise
Post 08 Mar 2022, 10:23 • #1 
Master Guide
Sig Barnes (of the Pat Barnes Fly Shop West Yellowstone....sold to Bob Jacklin in 1981) tied a zillion flies with a foot pedal rotary vise made from a foot treadle sewing machine. She could spin forward or back. I think that contraption is at a museum in Vermont now.

I've been tempted to make one but it recently occurred to me you can buy a small DC motor for next to nothing. It wouldn't be hard to build one. Variable speed plus forward and back might take some head scratching. Hmm. Electric drills do that. An old 120 volt drill might work as a power source. Then all you'd need would be a foot controller. In the DC world you can buy those for MinKota trolling motors.

Does anything like this exist? Has anybody done it? They must have. The hard part is who? I could ask Jeremy Fielding on youtube. Might have to do that.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 15:12 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
There is a guy near me i see at the local flea markets etc that claims he has such a contraption for winding big bucktail jigs and such.I do know he has owned a couple lure companies so not a local nutjob.The norvise tying system would be a good place to research as everything is based on a pretty fast rotating vise.Some older sewing machines were belt drive via an external motor that is foot controlled.I have seen many at estate sales selling for pretty cheap.Demand is pretty low for 20th century tech.I see whole basement wood shops with good machines sell for pennies on the dollar.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 15:31 • #3 
Guide
Who knows? Perhaps with an old VSR drill you could use something like this...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Singer-Sewin ... /269368659

Post 08 Mar 2022, 15:52 • #4 
Administrator
Interesting idea. Old treadle sewing machines are still readily available. I have a treadle base that I used as a base for my smallest lathe. There are often one or two of the bases at most antique malls.

For a well controlled electric motor, look at stepper motors. These are used as control motors on tools and automated systems. Usually steppers are digitally controlled, but I'm sure a foot or knee control could be cobbled together.

For an analog option, look at sewing machine servo motors. These are used on industrial sewing machines to give the operator a high degree of control over their work.

The biggest problem will be motor speed. Fast is easy. Getting the motor to turn slow enough will be tough. That's where the steppers are good.

Tom

Post 08 Mar 2022, 18:54 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Tom is correct.They are everywhere,Now the treadle would be downright 19th century tech.I left 1 in the barn when i sold my old house 3 years ago.It was there when we bought the place in '90 and still seemed to basically function.I could not give it away at the time.I have one of those rotary vises that has a big wheel on one end and the jaws are directly in line on center.I don't really tie much that it can be used for but it really spins pretty well and is made well.Would be good for someone tying bulk chenille bodied jigs or something like that.I thought of using it as a low speed micro lathe type thing for making balsa poppers.

Post 08 Mar 2022, 22:25 • #6 
Master Guide
I'm so old I watched Sig Barnes tie with her foot treadle machine. Even with the Nor Vise, which I have, you need one hand to turn the vise. With Sig's foot treadle machine she constantly had two hands to manipulate thread and feathers. She was fast and precise.

A Singer sewing machine table takes up a lot of room. I'm getting interested. A electric vise (ac or dc) could be compact.

I see a Ali Babba "universal" foot treadle sewing machine motor and speed controller for 25 bucks but it's forward only. I'll find one that reverses too and go from there. I'll need a small belt pulley on my Nor vise and away it goes.

Post 09 Mar 2022, 14:51 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Really want to see what you come up with.

Post 10 Mar 2022, 19:00 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I'm wondering if a modern sewing machine can be cannibalized for the motor and foot pedal? I know the sewing machines move backwards, but I don't know if they do that with gearing or if they run the motor backward.

But I think the treadle would give you more control.

Post 11 Mar 2022, 10:10 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
I sew to this day on a 1930's knee controlled old variable speed Sears machine and have sewn on lots of old Singers with a motor controlled with a foot pedal. I've also worked on many treadle machines.

What I can tell you is due to many electric motor factors and/or belt or roller slippage, controlling the start-up speed can be tricky on older machines and even on modern variable speed motors. If you push down too hard or fast with your foot or knee, in a instant, your fly could be spinning faster and more often than the correct amount of controlled revolutions you are after.

If I was inclined to create a "motorized" rotary vice, I'd go with a treadle as they are way easier to control.

You can cannibalize what you need and put your own table top on it. As matter of fact, about 20 feet from my fly ting area I have the base of an old treadle machine I use for a table with just a new table top added to the cast iron base. The treadle mechanism is still in place.

Have fun!

Last edited by Bamboozle on 12 Mar 2022, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Mar 2022, 17:42 • #10 
Master Guide
The more I look into this the better I think the 100 year old foot treadle would be. It could be done with an electric motor married to a foot control, but judging from what others have said combined with what I've read online.............I think Sig Barnes had it figured out.

Foot treadle sewing machines range in price from $50 bucks or to $300 depending on rust and what is or isn't broken.

I'm looking.

Post 11 Mar 2022, 20:26 • #11 
Administrator
Here's a photo of my small lathe table sitting on the frame from a New Home sewing machine. Note, the flywheel is on the right hand side, which is the typical setup. I have not made use of the treadle, but it still works just fine. I disassembled the original rusty frame, had it sand blasted, and repainted. Replacement belt material is available from McMaster-Carr. The next iteration of the table top will be wider to include drawers down the sides like the old sewing machines. You can never have enough drawers or table space.

This image of Sig Barnes at her vise was taken from the American Museum of Fly Fishing web site, specifically a page in their Archives Portfolio entitled Montana Fly Shops. I've lightened the shadows to make the sewing machine frame more visible. Arrow number 1 points to the normal fly wheel, while arrows 2 and 3 point to pulleys on an additional shaft that transfers the motion to the other side of the table (and reduces the speed a bit). While it is difficult to make out, the drawers face the side where Mrs. Barnes is sitting. The vise is on her right.

This image of the vise on display at the Yellowstone Historic Center also had the shadows lightened to bring out the frame details. Note, the setup allows tying with the vise on the left side, opposite to the image above. The business end holding the fly is quite different. The drawers are repositioned and the vice was moved (note all the holes from past experiments). The two-piece treadle appears to be a shop modification like the additional shaft. Another photo of Sig Barnes sitting with the vise at her left can be seen at the Pat Barnes Trout Unlimited Chapter web page.

Sandy, from your recollection, which side of the vise did Mrs. Barnes work from?

Tom

Post 12 Mar 2022, 09:29 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Normally the flywheel on a sewing machine and the flywheel on the treadle mechanism is on the sewer's right side, with the arm of the machine facing to the left. If you sat in the normal position on a Singer treadle machine, the word SINGER would be facing you reading left to right.

If you look at the photo of Sig Barns at work, based on the orientation of the word SINGER and the flywheel position she is sitting on the OPPOSITE side of the treadle machine base, hence the shaft to get the drive mechanism to the opposite side of the table.

Therefore, if it is the same machine & set-up in the lower photo from the Yellowstone Historic Center, that photo was taken from the OPPOSITE side that Mrs. Barnes worked from; meaning she sat on the OTHER side of the table with the vice on her right.

It also appears in the photo of her at work that the vice was further back on the table closer to her. That may explain the extra set of holes in the table top that would have placed the vise closer to the opposite side of the table where Sig sat.

I have a funny feeling someone used the set-up after her and wanted the vise on the left side with the sewing machine base in the normal position. At the same time, they moved the vise closer to that side of the table top and drilled a new set of holes to accommodate relocation of the vise.

Post 12 Mar 2022, 12:10 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Fascinating stuff.

Post 13 Mar 2022, 21:36 • #14 
Master Guide
good stuff -- I'm still down South escaping snow. 2000 miles from my shop. I'll be home first week April. I have a lot to do. A boat to finish and a foot treadle vise to cobble together.

Post 14 Mar 2022, 01:24 • #15 
Administrator
Bamboozle,

The photo of Mrs. Barnes, posted on the Pat Barnes TU website, shows her sitting on the other side of the table, with the vise on her left. That photo above shows her with the vise on her right. Maybe one of the photos was only for publicity. But in each photo the vise and drawers were mounted on the same side of the table as Mrs. Barnes. Perhaps she switched her technique at some point?

For us mere mortals, it would be nearly impossible to switch the vise to our opposite side. For a right handed tyer, the treadle motion needs to be on the left, either by reworking the frame, or by using a secondary shaft. These old sewing machine frames are cast iron - not steel. You can't just slice, dice, and reweld them like some automotive, YouTube-horror channel. A secondary shaft along the back of the table would be easier to make.

Tom

Post 14 Mar 2022, 13:10 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
I really wish she would make up her mind... ;)

Post 14 Mar 2022, 17:06 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
pittendrigh wrote:
.............I think Sig Barnes had it figured out.

Foot treadle sewing machines range in price from $50 bucks or to $300 depending on rust and what is or isn't broken.

I wish you luck, keep us posted.

But the one thing this thread has done is give me a craving for a Dynaking. The treadle would be neat, but just having a really nice rotary would be a good step forward for me.

Post 18 Mar 2022, 14:13 • #18 
Master Guide
fwiw I have both a dynaking and a Nor, and Regal and Renzetti Traveller. I use the Regal and Not almost exclusively.

Post 18 Mar 2022, 22:13 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I have a regal that I use almost exclusiely. I have a Renzetti traveler but it's too flimsy and I haven't put the time in to get rotary tying down. I think having the vise be rock solid would be easier to learn on.

I remember the first time I saw a Norvise in action. I was watching Harley Reno tie water walkers. It was mesmerizing. I think you need to put some time in on any of the rotary vises to get good at it.

Post 29 Mar 2022, 22:06 • #20 
Master Guide
Re> cast iron

You can cut it and braze it. I done it many times

New Topic Add Reply