It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:52

New Topic Add Reply
Smokie Caddis
Post 13 Jan 2022, 16:23 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
"OK" What is, or should I say can you tell me what the original pattern is for the "Smokie Caddis" that is used in the southeast. I am going to Shenandoah N.P. and the GSNP in the near future to fish and this pattern keeps coming up in my search of the areas streams but I cannot find a definitive fly pattern for same. What can you folks tell me? Help! :) Photos please!

Re: Smokie Caddis
Post 13 Jan 2022, 17:25 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Mark, interesting fly done here, with interesting opening comments about the caddis/sedge.

https://globalflyfisher.com/video/spent ... ged-caddis

Post 13 Jan 2022, 18:16 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Jhuskey,
Thank you. Yea, that's the pattern I had but I wasn't sure that it was the correct one. I do know that that pattern in a size 12 tied in olive with greyish/brownish wings will be killer for the Mother's Day Caddis here in Mt. :)

Post 14 Jan 2022, 14:20 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
That is a cool fly,looks to be a semi easy tie.Would make a good warm water splat fly.A fly you hit the water hard with to imitate a spent or injured bug.You will probably catch a 6 inch sunfish or during a hatch a crappie catfish or sometimes carp who i have seen lurking the shorline looking for hatching bugs.

Post 18 Jan 2022, 07:38 • #5 
Master Guide
When will you be there? What months?

Small 18-20ish caddis and small black stoneflies are common in winter and early spring through atleast March. By May the game has changed and there are plenty of big bugs on the water.

As for a good caddis that works for me in that area, I really like Mike Mercers missing link. I tie them in 14 and 16, olive thread body with olive dubbing ball or yellow thread body with yellow dubbing ball. I think they pass for crippled caddis or maylfies if the size is right. A great prospecting pattern, and the deer hair wing will keep it afloat in rough water assuming you dont hang a bead head nymph from it.

Tell us more! When? Small stream, big river? Backpacking?

Post 20 Jan 2022, 09:25 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I'll be there mid-March. Mostly for the small streams. Love the Brookies. Can't stand a stocked fishery. :) I've been there several times before, so I know where to go to fish. And which streams to avoid. I'll be sure to tie up a few of the Missing Link. Thanx!

Post 20 Jan 2022, 12:51 • #7 
Master Guide
No Problem! I have had really good luck on surprisingly large flies up there in March before. I think that the March Browns (10-14) and quill Gordons (12-14) leave a big impression on the fish. I tie a parachute fly with a light dun parachute hackle, dubbed thorax, pheasant tail body and light moose hair tail that really earned a permanent spot in my fly box last spring. I tie those 10-14. Brookies seem to always be in the mood for a royal Wulff and one tied in tat 10-12 range would be great for the same reason. Ive been working on tying miniature troutsman hex flies on size 12 long shank hooks specifically for the march-may time period.

Little black stoneflies will also potentially still be prevalent. Ive had some luck with black miniature stimulators tied on sz 16 tmc 200r hooks. Ive been working on little black stone nymphs tied on size 20 tmc 200r hooks as well using black crystal flash for tails and antennae, round midge body for the body and black peacock colored ice dub for the thorax.

there may also be Blue quill around. parachute Adams in a 16 would be a great starting point. a black 18 PTN is also a great performer for me.

sorry, Im getting worked up just thinking about it.

Last photo taken on the Ga NC line in mid February..

Post 20 Jan 2022, 18:16 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanx BB. I'm twisten'em up! :)

New Topic Add Reply