It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:42

New Topic Add Reply
The Metolius
Post 06 Jan 2022, 17:29 • #1 
Guide
Steve Sobieniak is a bamboo rodmaker and fly shop owner in Lanesboro, MN, which is in the heart of the Driftless region. The South Fork of the Root River flows through town, right across the street from his shop. He approached me a couple of years ago, asking if I would be interested in tying a fly that he designed, or maybe saying he happened upon it would be more accurate. The story went that his dad was fishing the Metolius River in Oregon oh so many years ago, and he found a broken-off fly in a tree along the bank. He thought it still looked fishable, so he tied it on and proceeded to slay the trout for the rest of the day. He showed it to Steve afterwards, and it quickly became a family favorite. They labeled it the "Metolius", after the river it came from. Apparently it has gained quite a following amongst Steve's customers, and he had become unable to keep up with the demand. So, that is where I came in. I have now tied about 75 dozen of them for Steve in the past couple of years, and I still can't quite wrap my head around it. It's rather ugly. Or, if not ugly, at least atypical. I had to teach myself to make sure I didn't tie them too nicely. Here is one I recently tied:

Not really sure what it's supposed to imitate, but maybe it's more of an attractor.

The recipe:
Size 14 dry fly hook
6/0 thread, gray or pink, or whatever you'd like
Elk hair for the post/tail (or is it the post/wing? not sure...)
Brown hackle, sized one size too big
Brown or tan dubbing (I almost always add some pink around the post, but that is optional

Let me know if you have any questions, or if you tie some and have some luck with them. I will be posting a tutorial video on YouTube soon, if you are interested.

Re: The Metolius
Post 06 Jan 2022, 18:18 • #2 
Administrator
Please post the YouTube link when you have it. I want to see how you tie in that post/wing, er, post/tail, or whatever you decide to call it.

Tom

Post 06 Jan 2022, 19:37 • #3 
Master Guide
The rustic appearance reminds me of a McClain's Drake, except the body on that fly is from the wool of an old sweater.

Which hatch do the locals fish with this fly most often? Hendricksons, Brown Drakes or just a general attractor?

Post 06 Jan 2022, 20:30 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
probably Mahogany duns (sorry, dunno the scientific terms), but they're pretty prevalent there, but could also pass for a caddis.

Bottom line, it just looks buggy. Outstanding pattern!

I think there's this misperception that the Metolius is a difficult river to match the hatch. That's not the case. The hard part is getting a good drift in the crystal clear water & often wacky currents. Often, if you're in the size range ballpark, you're going to do just fine.

Post 06 Jan 2022, 21:15 • #5 
Guide
I am not sure which hatch, if any, it is used for down in the Lanesboro area. Personally, I have never fished with one, but I plan on tying a few extra for my own box.

Size 14 is on the large size for our local mayflies and caddisflies, and really, with the tail/wing hanging off the back, it is about twice the size of a normal size 14 fly... I have a feeling it just looks buggy and delicious, kind of like a wooly bugger. Just looks yummy without looking like anything in real life...

Post 06 Jan 2022, 22:09 • #6 
Master Guide
Using the same clump of elk hair for the wing and tail is pretty neat.

Post 07 Jan 2022, 09:11 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
That pattern will do well in a larger size and in olive for the Green Drakes out here in the west. Thanx!

Post 10 Jan 2022, 21:47 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I used to find that the bigger and uglier I tied a #12 Usual,The better the trout hit it.It imitated almost everything.I like the Metolius.

Post 11 Jan 2022, 00:09 • #9 
Guide
My Youtube tutorial will go live on Friday, and I will post the link here. In the meantime I have changed the color scheme for my next batch of 5 dozen.
The recipe for this batch will be:
Same hook (Kona BDH size 14 dry fly hook)
Olive thread
Bull Elk for the post/wing
Coachman Brown parachute hackle
Brown squirrel/Antron dubbing for the front and rear sections
Peacock Sword colored Ice Dub, just around the base of the post

This should work well, too, I would think...

Post 11 Jan 2022, 17:22 • #10 
Guide
I'm in the minority on this, but the profile of that fly reminds me a little of a Goddard Caddis.

Post 11 Jan 2022, 23:54 • #11 
Sport
Totally agree. Looks like a parachute hackled Goddard Caddis. I think the post/wing probably isn’t as much of a trout trigger as the overall silhouette. Even if the Metolius doesn’t have day time hatch of similarly sized bugs there could be a nighttime hatch of a large caddis that most folks don’t see. I can think of one river in NC that has a nocturnal oversized caddis that I’ve never seen in the day.

Or it could just be the attractor factor :-)

Post 14 Jan 2022, 13:50 • #12 
Guide
Here is the link to my tying tutorial for the Metolius. Let me know what you think

https://youtu.be/LoYpLwE0gjc

Scott

Post 14 Jan 2022, 16:07 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
:like

Post 15 Jan 2022, 14:02 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Nice tie. I like it.

New Topic Add Reply