It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:10

New Topic Add Reply
Parallel Mini Bugger
Post 11 May 2021, 01:16 • #1 
Master Guide
These parallel mini buggers are great for large bluegills, red ears, bass and trout. I have caught numerous trophy bluegills with this fly. Fished 10-12’ deep under and indicator. Size 14 jig hook, black & olive marabou tail, olive hackle, red rib, Arizona Diamond Dub bloody leech body and a copper tungsten bead.

Re: Parallel Mini Bugger
Post 11 May 2021, 07:53 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like an effective fly! I've never seen a bead attached like that. How is that done?

Post 11 May 2021, 08:10 • #3 
Master Guide
Tied like a balanced leech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_LpnWDJgPU

Post 11 May 2021, 11:36 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
yep, balance leeches are really underrated (perhaps becoming less so).

Post 14 May 2021, 14:14 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Nice!Been tying little jigs like this for years for spin fishing.Mine are all sz 12 with sili kegs and a variety of colors and dressings.I fell in love with tung beads and their ability to get deep and stay there quickly..My wife and grand kids do well on them.I usually tip them with a tiny powerbait or wax worm red worm etc.But basically the same technique under a float they dance and swim with the wind and waves.I myself cannot use an indicator or bobber on a fly rod. I just adjust my leader to the depth and watch the line ,a little bead head nymph fishes better twitch stripped in deeper water than the weight forward jig..A lot of the panfish boards have some great contributors that fish Cali reservoirs.My dream trip would be Lake Havasu for those monster redears.My local bluegills are in a sad state of affairs.

Post 14 May 2021, 17:44 • #6 
Master Guide
Hersh, fly rod bobber fishing isn’t for everyone. I have several friends that only fish dries with bamboo rods. When they see an angler bobber fishing it drives them nuts. They call them fly fishing robots all staring at a little indicator. Myself I really enjoy watching that little piece of plastic get pulled under. The bluegill pic and the others bluegill pics I have posted are from Lake Perris here in Ca. in Riverside county. It’s known for its monster bluegills. My uncle lives in Parker, Az. which is about a half hour from Lake Havasu I have fished with it with him multiple times and my personal best red ears are 1.5 to 2 lbs. I believe these fish fight better than trophy bluegills and give a 5 wt. all it can handle. Big red ears are also great eating. He sent a pic and the article several weeks ago regarding someone whom caught a red ear that weighed 6.30 lbs. was 17” long and had a girth of 20” it’s a pending world record.

Post 14 May 2021, 19:57 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Another great looking recipe. I need to get tying !

Post 15 May 2021, 20:50 • #8 
Sport
20” girth, that’s insane!!!! Never realized they could get that large. What a blast they would be on a fly rod.

Those bluegills you’re catching are damn phenomenal too!

Post 17 May 2021, 14:16 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Little kern golden wrote:
Hersh, fly rod bobber fishing isn’t for everyone. I have several friends that only fish dries with bamboo rods. When they see an angler bobber fishing it drives them nuts. They call them fly fishing robots all staring at a little indicator. Myself I really enjoy watching that little piece of plastic get pulled under. The bluegill pic and the others bluegill pics I have posted are from Lake Perris here in Ca. in Riverside county. It’s known for its monster bluegills. My uncle lives in Parker, Az. which is about a half hour from Lake Havasu I have fished with it with him multiple times and my personal best red ears are 1.5 to 2 lbs. I believe these fish fight better than trophy bluegills and give a 5 wt. all it can handle. Big red ears are also great eating. He sent a pic and the article several weeks ago regarding someone whom caught a red ear that weighed 6.30 lbs. was 17” long and had a girth of 20” it’s a pending world record.

Sorry didn't mean it that way,i meant my skills and lack of patience to learn Prevents me from using an indicator with much success.I do fish some waters that are deep and clear.There has to be large sunfish present because there are large predators,I have caught a couple green sunfish in the 12" range but not the bluegills,Limited shore access is all there is in these old quarries,

Post 17 May 2021, 15:00 • #10 
Master Guide
Wow, a 12” green sunfish I would love to see a picture of that fish.

Post 18 May 2021, 10:44 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
The greenies are taking over in some areas.Or they are just easier to catch as they are so aggressive.Catch some strange hybrids where they are present.I never knew that got so big.Easy to target because they are easy to see.They seem to attack anything you throw in front of them.People don't realize when they are catching big male bluegills off the beds and keeping them,they are destroying the fishery. The same folks will be whining about the lack of big fish the following season.Around here they usually blame the carp.The carp eat all the eggs or some other crazy gibberish.

New Topic Add Reply