It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:28

New Topic Add Reply
Mule Skinner
Post 18 Apr 2021, 09:52 • #1 
Master Guide
A one material dry fly, albeit two separate clumps--of mule deer hair. From a mature late season buck.

Tie the hackle hair on facing forward. Push it back with the barrel of an empty ball point pen. Wrap in front. Whip finish. Add CA or UV glue up front. Or fabric cement--to hold the deer hair facing straight up. Without the final glue step the deer hair eventually starts to point forward again. I like fabric cement best because it is soft and flexible compared to CA or UV. Aleene's Flexible Stretchable fabric cement is the softest.

Re: Mule Skinner
Post 18 Apr 2021, 10:06 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I like it!

Post 18 Apr 2021, 10:40 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I’d bet that works well.

Post 18 Apr 2021, 16:07 • #4 
Master Guide
.....and with a white wing. So I can see it. This does have a relatively sparse hackle. You can make it bushier.

.......what does "No More PostImages" mean?

Post 18 Apr 2021, 22:46 • #5 
Administrator
That means do not use the photo serving site PostImage.com for sharing images on the forum. For details see this post.

For forum images I would prefer members use the image uploader. That will store a copy of the photo in the same data system as the text. As long as the forum is online the photos will be available.

That said, Sandy I understand you are linking to photos on your website. I don't see that as a problem as long as the site is running.

Tom

Post 19 Apr 2021, 09:17 • #6 
Master Guide
OK. I used the file upload. Photos on my website will be there until I'm done for. But who knows. That could be tomorrow?

...oops. I uploaded the image twice but it didn't automatically become part of the post. I'll have to figure this out. In the meantime a remote website image link, to a Mule Skinner with a bushier hackle than previous examples.

At the base of the white wing, if you look closely, you can see a vaguely gray area. That's fabric cement worked into the base of the fibers with a sewing needle. That holds the fibers in place, radiating outward like a feather hackle, using only the hard tips of the deer hair. That's the part that doesn't flare when you pinch it down with thread. So if you want hard fiber hair hackles (that don't flare with thread) you need the glue.

Post 19 Apr 2021, 11:25 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Durable good looking fly.Should float well too.

New Topic Add Reply