It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:16

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Apr 2021, 15:53 • #1 
Master Guide
I was attempting to add a short section of heavy mono with a loop to a WF5I clear mono-core fly line. My first nail knot looked good but, on knot seating/stress-testing, pulled the coating off the mono core and so failed.

I tied another nail knot after trimming back the damaged end of fly line and melting a little ball in the end with a flame. I don't trust it. ;)

I'm thinking the best bet might be to whip a loop into the end of the fly line with some mono fly-tying thread after exposing a bit of the mono core. I'd use some Aquaseal in the process, too.

What's your preferred method?

Post 16 Apr 2021, 19:24 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't used that line, but, I'd try an Albright before considering a loop, to attach a leader butt section.
However, if you plan on using a loop in the mono, then I'd scrap the mono loop idea even if the nail knot was perfect. imo, if a loop is wanted, either a whipped or welded loop surpasses the half-fast nail knotted mono, which inherits all the ills of both knots and loops.
Heat welding a loop and then serving it with a nail-knot/whip finish of tippet might be my method.

Post 17 Apr 2021, 11:52 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
If you are having that type of trouble with the nail knot, I would use the slip over, braided nylon loops, put a whip finish on it and aquaseal (or uv resin) coat it.

Or you could try to weld a loop on yourself, but I don't know how that works on an intermediate line.

Post 17 Apr 2021, 14:44 • #4 
Administrator
You have a WF5I line, as in a slow sinking line. You don't need to turn over long leaders or worry as much about presentation. Probably most important is the ability to swap out the leader quickly, even if that leader is simply a short length of tippet. To do so, I would want a loop at the end of the fly line.

Do it the easy way. Strip off some coating from the mono core. Tie a Perfection loop in the mono core. Optional, closely trim the knot and coat it with Aquaseal to reduce the tendency to snag weeds and algae.

Take it fishing. Then decide if you need something more complicated.

Tom

Post 17 Apr 2021, 18:32 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Tom's thinking is about the way I would look at it as well. Curious, does the manufacturer of the line recommend a particular line to leader knot(s)?

Post 17 Apr 2021, 18:51 • #6 
Master Guide
Quote:
Tom's thinking is about the way I would look at it as well. Curious, does the manufacturer of the line recommend a particular line to leader knot(s)?

There was nothing in the box or packaging as far as recommendations. I'll send them a note and find out. The line is a new, old-stock Cortland 333 Classic WF5I. If I don't get a reply in a couple of days, I'll give them a call. I bought a couple of them from a guy in the Cortland, NY area for a song.

Post 17 Apr 2021, 22:03 • #7 
Piscator
I have two monocore salt lines - both have double nail knot, and I looped those into short butt sections to loop on different leaders as needed, including Mason to wire for mackerel.

Post 18 Apr 2021, 07:17 • #8 
Master Guide
Quote:
I have two monocore salt lines - both have double nail knot...

Did you strip the coating before knotting?

New Topic Add Reply