It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:33

New Topic Add Reply
Post 21 Mar 2021, 19:09 • #1 
Sport
Anyone with experience between these two products? Polish are hand stripped as opposed to bleach (which can cause them to become brittle) so I’m assuming these are not. Not sure of the process Hairline uses and/or if they need a water soaking first as a result of being brittle.... if they are. Txs

Post 22 Mar 2021, 13:49 • #2 
Guide
I have just recently received a couple packs of the Polish quills. The individual fibers appear to be quite flexible. The left hand & right hand quills are mixed up in these packs, so you have to sort through them before winding abdomens. I will still soak these Polish quills to make them even more pliable.

Didn't know that Hareline sells stripped dyed quills (on the stem). The Polish quills are supposed to be hand stripped, but I would think that the Harelines are chemically processed before dying. You do have the advantage of having the right & left quills separate on the same stem, so you could easily choose what you will want to tie in.

Best of luck with these new materials. I also have some tapered Semperfli synthetic quills to try out. There are more of these synthetic quills out on the market.

Post 22 Mar 2021, 21:24 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I've used the polish quills a couple years, and like them. They are pretty low-maintenance. No water soaking needed. I do coat them with a thin coat of UV resin, like Solarez Bone Dry or Loon Flow. I think I got mine from Competitive Angler, though I see JS Fly Fishing now sells them.

Smoke jumpers (olive quills)

Iron Lotus variations (left, olive quills)

I have no experience with the Hairline product.

Post 28 Mar 2021, 08:00 • #4 
I've found that adding a few drops of glycerine (glycol) to the water when soaking quills makes them extremely flexible. Glycol is hydrophilic (it absorbs water from the air) so the quills don't get brittle when they dry out.

New Topic Add Reply