It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:54

New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Mar 2021, 19:42 • #1 
Sport
Tying up some 18 BWO and at that size, seems like a thread body with a thread rib seems to mimic the slender body at this size as opposed to dubbing (may be my dubbing skills) or using a quill body (thou love the look, the shank/body is so short that I only get a couple of wraps with "ribs" before the width of the quill takes over and throws off proportions. My question; is there any downside to using thread for bodies of dries?

Post 11 Mar 2021, 20:25 • #2 
Guide
For olives in sizes from 18 to 26 a thread body with just a small dubbed thorax and a turn or two of dark dun hackle tied parachure on a poly post works great.
tt

Post 12 Mar 2021, 16:35 • #3 
Sport
Something like this...

Post 22 Apr 2021, 12:24 • #4 
Sport
twistedtippet wrote:
For olives in sizes from 18 to 26 a thread body with just a small dubbed thorax and a turn or two of dark dun hackle tied parachure on a poly post works great.
tt

Agreed. You show my go to bwo. For flat/technical water I've simplified even further, using fine dun poly yarn/fiber tied in a comparadun style, no hackle at all. Quick simple 'guide' flies at that rate and work very well. I don't even bother to rib them with thread, just spin the bobbin to lay a flat base for the body, spin the bobbin the other way to cord the thread for a quick rib. They don't float for long in truly choppy water but some dessicant keeps them on top in more current than you'd suspect.

New Topic Add Reply