It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 10:46

New Topic Add Reply
Rattle snake
Post 21 Feb 2021, 17:39 • #1 
Master Guide
Maybe it's not a fly but it's not exactly a lure either, because, as shown, it's too light to cast with a spin rod. So maybe it's a flure.

This isn't meant to be a finished fly. It's a proor-of-concept prototype flap tail. I used three different feather colors so it would be easier to see what's going on. Brown Palmer hackle. Green saddle hackle tail. Gray-grizzly flap tail, glued onto the end of the green saddle with fabric cement.

Does the tail waggle? Holy cow. I fished a few of these two seasons back, on the Missouri River down near Cascade MT. It was definitely the fly of the day. It is important not to use fabric cement on the main tail, else the fly as a whole becomes annoyingly wind resistant. When tied like this they're just fine to cast. And boy does it waggle.

The flap tail on this one separated a bit. I didn't wait long enough. I tested it before the glue was fully cured. A second coat (this was only one coat) would probably help too.

Last edited by pittendrigh on 25 Feb 2021, 07:54, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Flap tails
Post 22 Feb 2021, 01:01 • #2 
Guide
Looks like good smallie food...

Re: Flap tails
Post 14 Mar 2021, 10:19 • #3 
Master Guide
Shape Shifter -- the tails sure do waggle -- when stripped

....ok this is an edit almost a month later. I haven't figured this fly out yet. On some the tail flaps like crazy. On others--that look much the same--the tail doesn't flap right, or even not at all. I'm working on it. Bass fishermen's Mr Twister Tails have an inverted triangle shaped tail. That might be they key. I'm still working on it.

New Topic Add Reply