It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:02

New Topic Add Reply
March Brown
Post 20 Feb 2021, 19:41 • #1 
Master Guide
We get March Browns in April/May. But still.
This is close to a size #14 fly but it is tied with a short shank #18 hook.

Re: March Brown
Post 10 Mar 2021, 15:11 • #2 
Sport
As ingenious as I find the extended body.....I really love the wing mottling/coloration. Did you do a write up on tying these pittendrigh? Seems to me you did and a quick search did not turn it up....lots of fabric cement but maybe I missed this one? Edited to say I found it, thanks.

Post 14 Mar 2021, 10:16 • #3 
Master Guide
A writeup? No.

I just spent roughly $2000 on a used camera body. Sony AR7 III and another $900 bucks on a 90mm macro lens. The Sony mirrorless cameras do really good video, with as good as it gets auto focus on the fly. I'm trying to learn how to make and edit video. I'll get there.

In the mean time. One of my main themes is "fast and easy to tie." Extended bodies don't really fit that description. But what the heck. My other favorite thing to do is "break the rules." Even my own.

Put an ultra-thin #10 (perhaps John Jones brand) beading needle in a vise, horizontally. Wax it up with purple cross-country ski vax. Start some thread a 1/2" away from the jaws with ten or so wraps.

Tie on tail fibers. Anything long. Fibettes or long hackle fibers if you can find them. Lash on a curved duck flank feather so its tips match the end of the needle. Wrap widely from front to rear with medium tension, right out to the end of the needle. Wind back almost to the front, also with wide ribbing-like wraps. Don't worry about the body being too long just yet.

The body length will be determined by the wing placement. The wings can be anything but I like Senyo Laser Dub best. It has long fibers with a bit of microscopic flash. Duck flight feather sections cause the leader to twist and the fly to flutter. CDC is beautiful but it takes forever to dry it off after catching a fish. Hackle points disappear when wet. Senyo Laser dub is totally cool. It is not wind resistant, doesn't twist the leader and it dries off quickly.

Better you you can groom a long strand of it and pull it up on both sides of the shank. Then parachute wrap two times on top of the shank and the wing is in place.

On this fly, at that point, as soon as the wing is in place, I whip finish right before the wing. Slide the modular body off the waxy needle with four fingers (which helps to keep it from collapsing lengthwise).

Use a fat needle to roll a thin layer of fabric cement on the bottom of the body, from the base of the tails to the front end of the fly, which at this point is waaaaaaaay too long yet. Set it aside to dry. It doesn't take long.

Put a short shank light wire down eye emerger hook in the vise. Wrap the front half with thread. Lash on a hackle feather but not wind it yet. Now lash the body on top of the hook with four very loose wraps. Two behind the wing two in front. Do this while holding the tips of the wings UP with one hand, while wrapping the thread with your other two hands.

Now wind the thread horizontally ten or so times, between modular body and shank. Leave thread hanging. Use hackle pliers to wind the hackle parachute style, between body and shank. Leave the hackle pliers hanging too. Trim the front end of the body back to proper a Vincent Marinaro style abdomen profile (some body showing forward of the wing, like the real deal).

Turn the fly on its side. Put a dab of glue at the fulcrum of the parachute. Don't use too much glue. Don't use too little. Any glue will do. I use thick viscosity CA or UV glue. Or even fabric cement. With fabric cement you might have to use the blunt eye end of a needle to massage the glue into the parachute hackle fibers, so they actually contact the modular body as well.

Wait'til the glue has set some, before trimming off the hanging stuff. I use a razor rather than scissors. CA and UV cure quickly. Fabric cement requires more time.

It's actually a pretty straight forward process, once you get your tying fingers.

Post 14 Apr 2021, 07:23 • #4 
Sport
Thank you sir! Anxious to give this a try.

New Topic Add Reply