It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:34

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Feb 2021, 10:25 • #1 
Guide
People were very nice when I posted about an article I wrote for the Winter issue of Fly Tyer, so I thought I would add a link to another article I wrote for Fly Tyer a few years ago. This one was about adding CDC to nymphs. It is still on the Fly Tyer website, so here is the link.

https://www.flytyer.com/tale-nymphs-cdc-fly-fishing-snobbery/

Let me know what you think!

Post 16 Feb 2021, 12:44 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Scott

Post 16 Feb 2021, 19:15 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
CDC is the best thing to come along since sliced bread!!!! Great article!

Post 09 Mar 2021, 21:59 • #4 
Guide
Nice article, Scott, thanks for sharing! I could use a dose of your nymph snobbery. Dries, wets, and streamers, I prefer in that order. I'm not crazy about nymphing but I recognize their effectiveness. I think it's the pressure to fish a double nymph rig with an indicator that turns me off. So, I don't. I just fish one with no indicator because I enjoy casting that so much more. I'd like to refine this technique, perhaps a la Joe Humphreys upstream tuck cast style.

Post 10 Mar 2021, 15:30 • #5 
Master Guide
Great article, Scott. I tie mostly streamers, as that’s how I fish most of the time, but you’ve inspired me to try adding CDC to some of my favorite nymphs. Excellent looking flies in the article.

Choptanked, a dry dropper is my favorite way to fish nymphs. Easier to cast than indicators and split shot, and you still get a shot at catching a fish on the dry fly.

Post 11 Mar 2021, 00:21 • #6 
Guide
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I never fish a double nymph rig. That seems like you would be asking for trouble. I do usually use a small indicator, though, which seems to help me notice the take. I often put a very small split shot above the tippet knot, too. I feel that helps get the fly don't faster, since I rarely use a tungsten bean on my nymphs.
I do use a Stimulator sometimes as an indicator. Usually only if the water is especially clear or if the fish are pretty shallow. That works well, too!

New Topic Add Reply