It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:29

New Topic Add Reply
Flat Caddis
Post 28 Jan 2021, 11:58 • #1 
Master Guide
This is a two material dry fly. Deer hair wing. Grizzly hackle, tied as a parachute between wing and shank. The trick to making it easy to tie is to mount hackle but don't wind. Mount wing on top. Whip finish. Now wind the hackle. Leave the hackle pliers hanging. Put a drop of UV resin or medium viscosity CA glue on the fulcrum of the parachute. Cure the glue. Trim off the unwound tip of the hackle feather. I sometimes make it a three material fly by adding something lighter and brighter to the top of the wing. So I can see it. This is the purist version, without the hot chartreuse or hot orange highlight.

Re: Flat Caddis
Post 28 Jan 2021, 19:48 • #2 
Sport
I like it- That is a unique location for the hackle and I bet it makes a good outline.

Post 29 Jan 2021, 07:15 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice!

Post 29 Jan 2021, 08:51 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Sandy, as always, an out-of-the-box, wonderfully refreshing and frugal fly.

I like this a lot and will tie a few this weekend.

Is there no body? Just hair wing and hackle feather? Am I understanding correctly?

Post 29 Jan 2021, 11:39 • #5 
Master Guide
No body just a wing and a hackle.

I skipped some steps in the first post.
Put a (thin John James for instance ) #10 beading needle in the vise. Wax it up.
Fasten thread to the needle with a good ten overlapping wraps. Bobbin hangs.
Tie on a clump of deer hair. I like the Coastal stuff they make Sparkle Duns with.
Whip finish where you wound on the deer hair.
Slide it off the needle.

Put a short shank hook in the vise. Lash on a hackle feather but don't wind it.
I like to pull the hackle feather down so it encounters the vise, so it's held facing down and out of the way.

Mount the wing clump with 3 or 4 LOOSE wraps. Now wind the thread horizontally between wing clump and shank. This tightens things up a bit and it creates a tiny thread post between wing and shank. Whip finish.

Now wind the hackle. Turn the fly on its side so the bottom faces you. Leave hackle pliers dangling.

Put a dab of glue at the fulcrum of the parachute. Medium viscosity UV or CA (like ZapAGap).
Snip off the waste hackle tip by pulling on the tip while holding a razor to the base of the stem.

https://www.joann.com/darice-john-james ... f787222040

You can tie these flies straight onto the hook, without the preliminary beading needle step. But it's hard to do. The needle trick makes it a snap. I first started tying these a zillion years ago. In practice I always put a tuft of fuzzy fluorescent chartreuse or orange on top, so I can see it.

Straight deer hair makes a more handsome photo.

Post 29 Jan 2021, 17:06 • #6 
Cool fly!
I'm looking forward to tying some of these to fish on my home water, the Upper Connecticut River.

Post 30 Jan 2021, 18:06 • #7 
Master Guide
Here's another. This one tied with a duck flank wing instead of deer hair.
Duck flank is easier to work with so the intermediate horizontal needle step used for the deer hair version isn't needed.

Two materials. Duck flank wing (I think this is Widgeon) and grizzly hackle.

New Topic Add Reply